Author Topic: Looking for the Children of Alexander McDonald and Margaret Walker - Glasgow  (Read 3978 times)

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the Children of Alexander McDonald and Margaret Walker - Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 10 September 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for help on what happened to the children.
Alexander McDonald (1860-1897 Port Glasgow) m 1888 to Margaret Walker (1866-1924 Port Glasgow).

Children:-
1. Janet Meek McDonald (1890 Port Glasgow.
2. Donald McDonald (1891-1916 died in WW1, France).
3. Annie Cameron McDonald (1893 Port Glasgow)
4. Maggie McDonald (1896 Port Glasgow).

After Alexander died I found Margaret & her child Maggie on the 1901 Census living with Margaret's parents in Scotts Lane, Port Glasgow.  I have been unable to find the children or Margaret & Maggie on the 1911 Census.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough  ???

Thank you for any little bit of help.

Dee (Australia)
MacDonald - Fort William, Port Glasgow & Glasgow (Scotland): Casterton & Strathdownie (Australia).
Small - Port Glasgow, Scotland.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Children of Alexander McDonald and Margaret Walker - Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 15 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think I may have found the two daughters.

1901 census:

Jennie McDonald
born:Port Glasgow
inmate
Carnegie Orphanage
Kilmalcolm,Renfrew

Aynes McDonald
inmate
Carnegie Orphanage
Kilmalcolm,Renfrew

1911 census:

Janet McDonald
living:Port Glasgow,Renfrew

Annie C. McDonald
living:Kilmalcolm,Renfrew

Mum probably put them in the Orphanage as she was having a hard time supporting all the children and kept the youngest Maggie with her as she would need her mum the most.

1901 census:

Donald McDonald
inmate
Carnegie Orphanage
Kilmalcolm,Renfrew

1911 census:

Donald McDonald
living:Kilmalcolm,Renfrew

Donald & Annie appear to be still in the Orphanage in 1911. I don't know at what age you can leave,possibly 21?? Maybe someone knows more. Hope this helps,Kim

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Children of Alexander McDonald and Margaret Walker - Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Thank you so much for your help. 
I will now be able to go back & have another look at this family.  I'm please to see that Ann is still listed as Ann C McDonald so I might be able to find a marriage or death for her now.  I'll put another post on here & ask if anyone knows at what age children had to leave the Orphanage.
Thansk agin Dee  ;)
MacDonald - Fort William, Port Glasgow & Glasgow (Scotland): Casterton & Strathdownie (Australia).

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Dee,  the online archive of the Greenock Telegraph at the Watt Library might have something. The Greenock Meek's were from Northern Ireland I believe, maybe a clue to the rest.

Skoosh.

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,
Thank you for the tip, I'll have a look.  The mother Margaret, was actually born Margaret Flockhart Dixon to John Dixon & Jane Meek.  At some stage John changed his name to John Dixon Walker, just a bit of trivia as I'm chasing the MacDonald line.
I find Scotlandspeople hard to use, the search engines aren't particularly user friendly  :( 
Dee  :D

Offline Penny Pannekoek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Dee
You are looking for children of Margreat meek walker and Alexander Macdonald
I am the great grandaughter .
My mother is Jean Macdonald Davison
Her mother is Ann Cameron Macdonald born 1893 married Reginald Davidson
Ann Cameron Macdonald and sisters  ,Jane meek Macdonald born 1890 ,maggie  Macdonald born1896 migrated to Western Australia 1927 came on the ship Orama
Their brother Donald macdonald was killed WW11916
Margaret walker macdonald died 1930 Scotland
Ann had 3daughters Mary peg and Jean
Jane had 1 son killed Ww2
Maggie never married
I am looking for more information on is their any family  either brothers or sisters of
Margaret meek walker and Alexander macdonald

Penny WA

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Penny,
Thank you for putting this post on here, I had no idea the family came out to Australia.  I'd love to swap information with you.
I've done a lot of research on the family & have a lot of certificates.  Donald MacDonald (Alexander's father) was one of my great, great, grandfather Allan's brothers.  He to came to Australia but settled in Victoria we think he arrived in the mid 1850's.  You have a lot of MacDonald cousins her in Australia including me   ;D  A cousin of Allan & Donald settled in South Australia, that's another story.
I'll send you a personal message & you can use my email address.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dee (Ballarat, VIC)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 May 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Folks,  found a Bathgate, West Lothian marriage 1858, John Meek 27, Whitburn, master slater, son of John Meek, labourer & Jane Dixon,  married Elizabeth Auld of Trees daughter of John Auld & Mary Shaw 17th October.  If this is your connection they're not Irish at all, these Meek's have been in Bathgate since the 1500's.

Here's the 1935 will of a Janet French Walker/Meek of Blackfaulds, Fauldhouse, West Lothian, widow, died 15th February 1935 testate, £528 to Jeannie Wilson Meek, Elizabeth Meek & Mary Walker Meek all Blackfaulds.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline DeeMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 May 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Skoosh, I'll log it away.  I really appreciate all the help :)

Dee  ;)