Author Topic: Morrow/Downey/Rice  (Read 8616 times)

Offline Gerisomar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morrow/Downey/Rice
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My Gr Gr Grandparents were called John Rice and Elizabeth Morrow. They were married on 11/09/1858. Elizabeth was born on 14/02/1830 in Dromore Parish. I understand her father was called Thomas Morrow and her mother was called Eleanor Downey. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Marie

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morrow/Downey/Rice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
The 1858 marriage certificate should give details such as fathers' names and occupations and residences of bride and groom at the time of the marriage which might help searching for other records.
You haven't given the name of the church where the marriage took place but if the church records exist for this period they might have information on the bride's family (marriages usually took place in the bride's church) and possibly the groom's family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The marriage took place in Lisburn Civil Registrars Office and the bride's name is given as ELIZA.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
found a marriage for john rice to eliza morrow antrim 1858.husbands father is john wifes father is samuel.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Gerisomar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help.
Unfortunately I dont know which Church they were married in. I think it was a Catholic Church.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages didn't start until 1864 so if it was a Catholic ceremony you won't find it in civil index on LDS Pilot site.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie, I came across your post while searching another Morrow in my family tree.  Your Elizabeth Morrow married to John Rice is in my family line. Her brother John born Dromore c.1825/26 who is my gg grandfather, married Letitia Johnston, 1850 Donegal, daughter Letitia Morrow born Donegal 1880, she married my g grandfather James Morrow in 1904, (yes both Morrow's), Their son John, was my grandfather. I am currently researching James Morrow's (born c.1880) family line, and know his father was also James and that's when I saw your post.

Elizabeth Morrow, Father, Thomas Morrow b.1797 m. Elanor Downey. Children Elizabeth & John plus Sarah 7/12/1833; Alice 20/12/1832; James 29/01/1825.
Thomas Morrow, Father John Morrow, mother Elizabeth Burns. I have to clarify all this, but your search for families in Donegal also gives me hope that this is correct.

Hope this helps you in some way. Best Regards  Terry Morrow

Offline Gerisomar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,
This is very interesting. My grandmother was called Sarah so this may be a family name. Elizabeth and John's son moved to Scotland and married my Gr Grandmother. Incidently her maiden name was Rice too! This part of the family have lived in Scotland since. Always great to get more info. This is the first time  I have heard from someone I may be related to. Very exciting.
Marie

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

I saw the marriage record of 1958 in Lisburn but two problems, this Elizabeth is born in 1837 & it say's that her father is Samuel.

What was the name of their son that went to Scotland & married your gr grandmother? And would they have been Roman Catholic or Protestant, if you don't mind me asking.

By the way, are you yourself from Scotland?