Author Topic: John Loughlin/Laughlin, Comber  (Read 3848 times)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Loughlin/Laughlin, Comber
« on: Monday 15 July 13 02:37 BST (UK) »
I've been searching for many years for a birth record for my great great grandfather John Loughlin (or Laughlin). I have enquired about this previously, but to date no likely record has shown up, so I'm hoping for better luck this time.

He died in NZ in 1892, aged 68, so he would have been born around 1824. I have no real clue where he would have been born, but it is likely to be in Down, possibly the Comber or Tullynakill area. He lived with his wife and family in Comber before coming to NZ in 1864-66, and he was married in Ballyboley in 1846 to Eliza Jane Adams (her father David Adams farmed at Greyabbey)- could someone find the marriage record? Or other family records from the area? Perhaps there might be some clues to John's family there.

There must be some reason researchers have had so much difficulty tracing his birth. Some believe his name may have been David John Loughlin (this is also the name of one of his sons), and that he may have been the child of a second marriage. The surname was often spelled Laughlin, but perhaps there was another variation I'm not aware of. Any suggestions?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Loughlin/Laughlin, Comber
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
That previous topic was mine, sorry! Unfortunately in the years since then I'm still none the wiser as to his origins. I've learned a little about his life and death in NZ - finding his death certificate helped a little, but I still know nothing about his birth - hence reviving the topic in the hope that something fresh will turn up.

Offline inglisnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • appreciate any help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 July 14 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We too descend from John Loughlin.  His eldest Daughter married John James Woods.  We have no idea about John James Woods unfortunately or his family in Ireland.  The only additional help we have is the following which states County Down as you suggested:

MARRIAGE.

Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXV, Issue 3658, 9 April 1869, Page

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=DSC18690409.2.5&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----0woods+loughlin-all

On April 3, at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. J Hill, -eldest daughter of John Loughlin, Graham's Town, Thames, late of county Down, Ireland, to John James Woods, second son of Henry Woods, Esq., county Tyrone, Ireland.
Wood, woods, inglis etc

Offline thamesboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 July 14 03:19 BST (UK) »
My records state "he was the only child of father's second marriage".

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the most detailed copy of the wedding record? Ballyboley townland is the neighbouring inland townland to the east of the famous MountStewart tourist attraction within Greyabbey civil parish.   
In Griffiths valuation http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/living in Ballyboley in 1863 are
Adams   David Ballyboley Grey Abbey Down
Adams   Mary Cardy Grey Abbey Down
Adams   William Ballyblack Grey Abbey Down
Adams   William Black Abbey   Grey Abbey Down
David Adams in Ballyboley appears to be sharing 39 acres and has a good house in 1863 see the boundaries of the property on http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation

The churches within Greyabbey have comparatively good surviving records see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/ under churches and then under Greyabbey
http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf and also see
GREYABBEY, CO. DOWN Proni has an online Guide hers an extract to before 1866
C.I. Greyabbey (Down diocese)
Baptisms, 1807-1994; marriages, 1807-1935; burials,1807-73; vestry minutes, 1789-1823; preachers’ book,1849-70 Map of graveyard with key to burials, 1857.Indexes to baptisms, 1807-15 and 1820-1900, to marriages, 1807-1927, and to burials, 1808-73.MIC1/48-49: T/2688/1 T/1619 In local custody CR/1/98; Copy on shelves in MicrofilmRoom
N.S.P. Greyabbey
Baptisms, 1835-40 and 1848-1988; marriages, 1835-43and 1845-1935;; list of families, 1835-6 and 1839. MIC1B/9
P. Greyabbey Baptisms, 1873-1932; marriages, 1845-1936;
register of pews, c.1850; pew rent book, 1863-78; Baptisms, 1835-40; marriages, 1835-42; lists of families,1835-54.MIC1P/323 MIC1P/230/6/1-2 In Presbyterian Historical Society

Using http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation John Loughlin of Cherryvalley had 28 acres house office and land so I assume a small farmer, the house is above modest at £1.10 shillings as there are several  others in the townland at10 shillings at  map ref 16 in Cherryvalley.. It is south east of Cherryvalley house map ref 15,  which was destroyed by fire 1890 so unless rebuilt in same style it doesnt appear similar to me via Google satellite view.  However this map shows a John Laughlin’s house and organized garden set in about 5 fields. Compare that to Google satellite view and it would appear to me the building is still there.
You can find out when he moved from the property by going to PRONI which has a section on valuations continued nearer to the present day

Finding more about John Loughlin of Cherryvalley,Comber, The marriage details might include witnesses. Around 1823-37 the irish applotment records were made. These are not on line , only available by visiting PRONI but would help establish or otherwise keep in question the family roots.  Look at Comber Historical Society's website  and ask for help. {my historical directory doesn't help you} Someone local might know much more.   I would exhaust PRONI resources.   I have run out of time JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Comber church records are comparatively good with surviving records see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/ under churches
http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf under Comber
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline thamesboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Re lindynz comment about having a death cert for David John Loughlin, can you give me the date he died??  Everything I have says he passed in 1904, in Auckland, a transfer from City Missionary to the hospital, under the spelling of L(a)ughlin.  My email algb@charter.net

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 July 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi thamesboy, the certificate I have is for John Laughlin, and as far as I can tell it is "our" John Loughlin (I could be wrong of course). The date of death is 28 September 1892, he died at Auckland Hospital age 68 of septicemia. No family information is given, he is listed as a labourer, born Ireland, in NZ 27 years. He is buried at Waikomiti (Waikumete) cemetery, the minister/witness to burial is Duncan McPherson, City Missionary.