Author Topic: Killed in Action. Found in 1937  (Read 10215 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Killed in Action. Found in 1937
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 09:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've got full information, place of birth, place of enlistment, place of residence, soldier number, rank, how he died (died of wounds), place of death (France and Flanders), date of death (24.11.1917), regiment, battalion.   It is only CWGC that shows "Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 1.   Cemetary/Memorial Name: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL"

I'm confused, but as I say, we will go to Cambrai Memorial next time we are in France.

Liz

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
Just to point out that the information on Findmypast is not obtained from the CWGC.  Apart from that soldiers there are many instances where it was noted that soldiers died of their wounds and were buried but their place of burial was either lost or totally destroyed in later fighting etc etc.  There are a variety of possibilities.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
   there are many instances where it was noted that soldiers died of their wounds and were buried but their place of burial was either lost or totally destroyed in later fighting etc etc.  There are a variety of possibilities.

Agreed, though I've noticed that in a number of cemeteries there is often a commemoration stone stating the names of men who with no known graves, are 'known to be buried in the graveyard'.  :'(

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 August 07 09:28 BST (UK) »
It is possible that he died in a 'field station' and was hastily buried, then the ground was torn up by further fighting and the grave was lost. It took years for the burial parties to find some bodies to move to cemeteries.
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 August 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied to my query, however, I did hi-jack Costar's original posting and I hope that he/she has had his/her own query satisfactorily answered. 

Liz

Offline tisgrannie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Mum myself and Joe, 1949.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 August 07 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Can I just add that when you look up a relative on CWGC it gives you the Cemetery Reports this tells you which Soldiers where fighting in the area sometimes -only by Regt. Also a feature on CWGC is on the left hand side is informing you all about what they are, what they do and an explanation of how soldiers where buried. They even have photos of them at work.
It explains the sadder facts about War Graves.
regards
tisgrannie
Gallagher/Galligan -Heywood, Oldham & Ireland
Jackson-Ashton u Lyne & Oldham
White- Stockport & Hyde
Henry-Newry, Saintfield, & Glasgow
Willis, Beattie, Montogomery & Smith - Belfast & Co Antrim
Wade & Vernon - Co. Down
Procter- Brigg, Lincolnshire & Oldham
Conroy - Ireland & Oldham
Man Regt & R A 52nd Anti-Tank Regt WW11
Ebrey-Shropshire

www..

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 September 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt into this posting, but Manmack you say

the memorial is only for those with no known grave,

My query is this.  My g.uncle's name is on the Cambrai Memorial, but according to CWGC he died of his wounds.  Is that what all deaths show if there is no body? I assumed that if he died of his wounds, someone would have found the body.

Liz
sorry lizie,only just seen this,a lot of graves were destroyed by shellfire and many others were lost in the heavy fighting,thousands of graves were swallowed up in the mud in france+flanders,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Costar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 September 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have contacted the CWGC, not only here but in France and Belgium to no avail. They have no record of James Russells body being found or reburied. I have found in the 1913 valuation rolls that there was a William Russell living in Grafton Square/street occupation "Clerk of Works". I am trying to find what I can about him (if he was James`s Father).

Cheers

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 September 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
I have rechecked again.
James`s name is on the Thiepval Memorial because his remains were not found at the time. As he was found and reburied in 1937  his name was not have been taken off before the start of WW2.
Not all Russells on the CWGC have ages or parents names (I have checked them all). I check the 1937 editions of the Glasgow Evening Citizen and the Evening Times newspapers every time I go to Glasgow, hoping to find the supposed article that had been written about the finding of his remains.
It is along process.
james russells name would have been erased from the memorial by now,once a soldier has been ID,his name is removed from the memorial when the CWGC team do their usual maintainance work.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.