Author Topic: What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I was told by my father that my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson from Sunderland served in the Royal Flying Corp. I purchased his service record from the National Archives and discovered that  before that he enlisted in the British Army and served in France. It states he was gassed on 17th September 1917. However, I cannot find out what regiment he served in. I am guessing that it was the Durham Light Infantry but not sure. Can anyone tell me what other regiments did Sunderland men serve or be able to access records to find out?
My father also told me that he served in India. I am assuming this was with the R.A.F which he joined in  April 1918. I can't seem to find out what the Units he served were. Movements read: I think - 2AD to 2AW, 1AD to 10AP, 10AP to 20 Squadron, 20 Squadron to 'Dealali'? Then I can't read where his documents were sent to but the date is 5th August 1920 after his discharge which was 30th April 1920.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:23 GMT (UK) »
INFO ONLY

For elimination purposes - he was b 1898 Sunderland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have that information and also marriage and death certificates. I have all census information and occupation details. Also my father is living so I have a lot of first hand information. It is his early army, Royal Flying Corp and Royal Airforce career I am researching at the moment.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I have that information

Yes - but it wasn't included in your post and there are a lot of WW1 entries for a Charles Anderson hence my header "For elimination purposes".  We always need birthyear and birthplaces to help in narrowing down any search when the surname is a popular one
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
What's his RAF service number?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Thank you for your interest. His date of birth is 15th July 1898 and his Official Number according to the Service Record is: 144528. His date of entry to the R.A.F was the 1st April 1918.

He first enlisted in the army on 19th February 1917 and joined the Royal Flying Corp a year later on 20th February 1918.

I have looked on Ancestry but can't find a record. His name is unusual but even if he was just recorded as Charles or Ernest as he was known as, I can't find anyone from Sunderland. I have had a previous subscription to Forces War Records but don't have a current one hence to appeal for help.
 Julie.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that last post should have read to Carol and Ady. Thank you to both for your interest.
Julie.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 23:44 GMT (UK) »
http://www.britishmedals.us/files/r1.html

He's mistranscribed as CEA Anderson in this nominal from April 1918.
His Army record must have been burned in the Blitz of ww2

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 January 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady,
Thanks for looking for me. It's such a shame that so many records were burnt. I have been looking for a while for my husbands grandfather's service records. He was Patrick Dobson born 1890 also Sunderland and was in the Northumberland Fusiliers Tyneside Irish. He died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme 1st July 1916.After a visit to the Somme last year and reading John Sheen's book (which is excellent), I have been able to find out where his battalion was that day so therefore piece together the circumstances leading to his death. I would have liked to have looked at his army record to see information such as when he enlisted and his movements in France. All I can find is information about his death.
Julie