Author Topic: ethel may Lloyd  (Read 20005 times)

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ethel may Lloyd
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
I am delighted that you have all met and can now share the stories of the family on both sides of the pond.

Susan

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Susan and thank you all for your help in searching ...very much appreciated
 :) :) :)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
ah, we were hearing about another Ethel May, then, I was getting very confused... :P easily done...
Wonderful that the correct information is now known...Happy outcome...Enjoy!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
I've wanted to say how strange this is after all the searching and finding nothing because of one simple word. The missing word being that of a last name, Lloyd. To the Lloyd family the missing word was Reid.
In our family we never knew either of our grandfathers as they both passed away before any of us were born. Our knowledge of them exists only because of records and of being told about them through our relatives that knew them. We've been told about them and many times with fond memories and I can't but wonder sometimes about we missed from not knowing them. We did know our grandmothers and one of them we knew as Ethel May Reid or as we called her Gramma Holden. Both our grandmothers passed away during the 1980's. Not long after one passed away the other left us. On our father's side of the family there was lots of knowledge of our ancestral history here in Canada and what was once known as the new world to the people of Europe.
Our father's side of the family has been traced back to Normandy in France and it can be traced back further than the early 1600's when the first French settlers were coming here to this new world then called Kanata meaning a village by the natives.  Jacques Cartier adopted the name Canada for the world he discovered.
Three hundred years after our father's side side of our family arrived here from France a ten year girl from the UK was put on a ship and shipped to the New World. She was taken from her family with thousands of other young children and sent out to populate this new world for the British Empire. Before she taken and placed on the ship Silician her connection to her past was deliberately severed. She would live her life as many others would, never knowing who she really was or where she was really from. The connection to her past severed with the use of one word, her last name.
My mother handed me a book in the late 1980's. "You should read this." She said. "Your grandmother was one of them."  The soft covered book was The Little Immigrants, the telling of orphans shipped from the UK to the New World. Even though Ethel My Reid could not be found in that little book it sparked an interest to find our past that originated somewhere in Britain.
In my living room is a small table with rosewood inlays on it's top. In my closet is a photo album that has within it photos of our gramma Holden, Ethel May Reid and memories of her being severed from her past. She was a stout woman as was my mother who never grew past being five feet and eleven inches tall. Things are different now as that one word we know as a last name has been discovered. No longer is Ethel May Reid severed from her past as we now know she did have a family in the UK. and she was not the only child in her family. But for her it's too late, she has left us and she will never know her beginnings. It feels different here now to as with the discovery of her past a closure ends a search and new chapter begins. I've heard it said you never know who you are until you know where you've been and where you come from. It's so difficult to find the words to describe this difference now to what it used to be. What once was a feeling of being incomplete because of not knowing now is being replaced with new thoughts, new questions and new feelings. It is taking a bit to get used to being not only a Reid but also a Lloyd with living relatives overseas. Additions will be added to family trees with the discovery of new information. The family tree of the Lloyds, Reids, Pugh, Holdens, Lavoies, Sharpe, Sine and many others. I only know a few of them. Maybe in time others will surface. This is the end of an era as as a new era begins. Until then it is a time of transitions and it is taking time to adjust.   

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 September 14 08:11 BST (UK) »
Have read your latest post Mel and we are just as delighted as you to find Ethel May. I have been searching for so long for her that I feel I know her. Although we (that is the Coley family) are only connected to her because our son,Richard, is married to Ethel May's gt.niece we are all very excited and Margaret is certainly very excited.
There was also a sister, Beatrice, who had family but I don't know much about that part of the family. Will see what I can obtain and forward.
An excited, Kath.
PS Just as an aside, my husband's grandfather, William Venables, lived in Alberta for very many years and did, in fact, die there as an old man. Isn't life strange!
!

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 September 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Kaycee,
I'm not sure if you've seen this yet or not but in case you haven't this photo of Ethel and Sylvester Holden is on Ancestry.com.
Because it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name I've posted it here. The baby in the photo is Charles Mervin Holden their oldest child and my uncle....also Karen Holden's father-in-law.
As Karen said earlier in these posts we have relatives in the UK and some of them may be not that far from you. She knows them much better than I do.
Mel

Offline Kbh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you to everyone that has been looking into this. We are starting to get a clearer picture of the family. I will try to alert the family in England that they have additional relatives over there.  Maybe next year, Bill and I will try to visit England and research some of the areas we have heard about in these posts.

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 04:01 BST (UK) »
just an update...
for anyone following this post.

As the pieces of the lost records are coming together like a puzzle things are starting to make sense.

Ethel May Reid carried her mother's maiden name when she was born due to the fact her parents were not married at the time. They did get married soon after her birth.

Did Ethel really remember sitting on her grandfather's lap when she was a small child?
She  certainly may have because her grandparents (Reids) lived two doors down the street from her. 

FYI- Ethel was apprehended at the age of 5 and sent to Canada by Barnardos and Barnardos knew she had living grandparents in Hereford. The grandparents were not informed of what Barnardos was doing with Ethel as they apparently feared Ethel would have been taken back by her grandparents.

In the report recently received by Barnardos Ethel parents were stated as being not reputable people.
In information I've received from the UK, Ethel father was a coal delivery man and he was severely injured when kicked by a horse. The family was thrown into poverty and had to enter a workhouse. They were not reputable people only because of poverty.

The ten year gap between Ethel and the birth of her siblings was likely due to her father's injury.

Sadly Ethel passed away in the year 1986 and she never knew of her brother and sister that were still alive and looking for her.

Ethel May Reid was sent to Canada at the age of 10 years old in 1909 and it's taken until 2014 to learn she was the daughter of Ethel May Reid and John Lloyd. Maybe 105 years is not that long but for this family it has been far too long to learn the truth of her beginnings. Too many people have passed away before knowing the truth about their ancestry including Ethel May Reid/Lloyd.

As this thread comes to an unexpected ending, a thank you must be given to Kaycee for the original post and  to each and every one of you that has helped us with our search.

Thank you,
from Mel and the other descendants of the Reids and Lloyds.     

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
I'm so glad to see that the mystery of Ethel May has been solved.  It's wonderful for Karen and Mel to have made a connection to Kaycee after all these years.

Well done Rootschat!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!