Author Topic: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe  (Read 18252 times)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 August 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
1863 -4 was the time of 'the troubles' in West Cork.  I have found articles about Union Hall having some confrontations between the ruling English and the native Irish townspeople.   
Question - If my John Driscoll left around this time, would it be likely that this was the reason.  Or, what was the state of the potato crop those years? 
What drew people to London if the English were so unpopular in this part of Ireland?
I believe the Irish were rather badly treated in both areas?

Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll and Neale (O'Neill) Rotherhithe
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 October 12 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello all.  I am still trying to track the parentage of John Driscoll (1832) and Catherine (Kate) O'Neill (1835) of Rineen area, Castlehaven and Myross Parish, Union Hall.
I know that there is a link with Clonakilty, and also Leap.
There are other Driscoll's who also ended up in the London Dockyards with the same naming patterns as this family.
I am not sure how to find out Catherine and Johns deaths or if applying for death certs might reveal their parents???

I think son Thomas married Susanne Dudley, and had a Son, Thomas and daughter Mary Ann abt 1880 - 3 in Rotherhithe.
James may have married Emma Rosina Pitham. All seemed to stay in the Southwark area.

There are other Driscoll families in this vicinity and some carry the same names.  Does anyone know of any family links?
All assistance gratefully received. 
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bridget Driscoll born 1871 Rotherhithe brothers James, Thomas etc.
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 October 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
Details on Bridget's birth record
Born 9th January 1871, Father John Driscoll - Granary Porter, mother Kate Driscoll (formerly Neal)
11 Hanover St, Rotherhithe.

Confirms the family.

Trying to find Thomas Driscoll b abt 1855 and James born 1859.
I think that record of Thomas marrying Susan Dudley is correct but I cannot track them in 1901 or 1911, so cannot confirm.
James may have married Emma Pitham, but it gets confusing with another James and Emma (Pennington).  I think James D had a son called James who married Eliza Blakesley.  Still trying to confirm all of above.

I am fairly certain that Kate jnr married Mark Henley and died in 1891 -2 along with her daughter Nellie.

I think Johanna died young.
Unsure about Mary, Ellen, Margaret, Laura.
Can anyone forward me on this?  These Driscoll's are very hard.  I am sure there were other related families but cannot confirm.
I appreciate any input.
Thank you!

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 December 12 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Mary Driscoll, daughter of John and Catherine, married John McCarthy (b1855) in Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Rotherhithe, Southwark, London. I am now in touch with a descendent!  Two of the McCarthy daughters married CHILD brothers in the East End. 
Still seeking Rotherhithe born Laura, Bridget and Margaret.  I suspect Johanna died about 1878. Catherine jnr died 1891 with her daughter, Nellie. I am also very keen to track Thomas (b 1855) and James (b 1858) in Rotherhithe. 
I am still trying to ascertain the parents - John (b 1832) and Catherine (b 1835).  There was a Jeremiah Driscoll (b 1838) who worked at the mill and lived in Forenaght.  His marriage to Bridget McDonnell has his father as a John Driscoll - laborer of Rineen.  I am trying to confirm if my John and Jeremiah are brothers. ::)  Oh so many questions. 

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 December 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask about the marriage record you have for Jeremiah Driscoll and Bridget McDonnell - what church they married in, her address, her father's name and occupation? Am assuming it's a civil cert? I have a baptism record for a nearby townland with a Mary McDonnell as one of the sponsors. McDonnell would not be a common name in this parish so am wondering if they tie together somehow.
This is the baptism http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7c1bd50011638

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe.
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 December 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Sonas

Marriage was in Union Hall, Myross, under the Union of Skibbereen, Cork.
Date August 17 1869
Jeremiah Driscoll, Full age, Bachelor, Laborer (Rineen crossed out), living in Rineen, father John Driscoll, Labourer
Bridget McDonnell, Full age, spinster, Shopkeeper (Rineen crossed out), living in Rineen, father Jeremiah McDonnell, butcher
Witnesses Honora Donovan and Margaret Minihane.

I think it is likely the birth sponsor and this McDonnell are related given the same parish and not too many of that name.

I have details of the census's for these people in 1901 and 1911, and possible deaths for two.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 December 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks kezd.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
I believe that many men from Castlehaven were 'advised ' to go to England for work . One turns up in Portsmouth Dockyard and was on The Victory ! I understood from family word of mouth that the land owner in Castletownsend ( family of that name ) advised men to leave for England and they were given some sort of basic reference.By 1920s things got very bad and by then the 'Troubles" kicked in and the man of the big house was shot dead.The message left was something to do with "sending all our boys to England".It was a tragic and very sad time. Poverty lay behind it all.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 May 13 01:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that miggs 191.  I see there was some sort of uprising at Union Hall around the early 1860's too, and wonder if that would have been some impetus for the Landlords to move the native people off the land?  I heard from the Rineen Mill owner that men would occasionally come up the harbour and 'borrow' their horses.  They would find them unharmed in paddocks,near Skibbereen or Clonakilty, days later. It is very sad that so many left.  It ended up disastrous for the family of my John Driscoll and Kate O'Neil (Neale).  Of 10 children I have only found 3 who had children.  7 seemed to have perished with TB, influenza or from childbirth.  I discovered the boys, Thomas and James, both died before 30.
I will start another thread about the DNA links I have found to this family, and links them to Baltimore and possibly Sherkin Island.