Author Topic: Nair - Lockie  (Read 11536 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nair - Lockie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 October 07 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

Found this on a site earlier (can't eremember which one - apologies)

"Irregular marriages were legal in Scotland until 1st July 1940 and could be registered by obtaining a Justice of the Peace's or Sheriff's warrant. These show up in marriage certificates as marriage 'by declaration' or by 'warrant of sheriff substitute'" 
They were obviously not married according to the normal church route, although at the age they were, there wouldn't seem to have been any reason - maybe just personal choice?  It s the first time in a year of looking at a lot of these that I've come across anyone married by Sheffifs warrant.    Probably 'Substitute' is the word you were unsure of.  As said above - shall search for further info in a weeks time.  Regards,   :O).   

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Was in the Registrars in Aberdeen yesterday.

Further to the Marriage of Robert Murray Lockie and Mary Milne in 1913 - have the following:

Only able to find 2 children - born in Nairn  (there may have been others born outwith the county)

1.  male child  Lockie b.  16 Sept 1913
2.  male child  Lockie b. 14 May 1915 

We could not find a death entry in Scotland for Mary Milne.  Maybe our search or she died outwith Scotland
However, Robert Lockie lived on till 27 Dec 1965, dying in Nairn (widower of Mary Milne).  Witness was his son RB Lockie - who at this time was living at an address in London.

On his childrens birth entry and death entry he is listed as Robert Murray McCheyne Lockie.  (it's the same man).

I can scan the 3 entries if you wish and send them on. 

Regards,   Steve

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - knew there was a girl child somewhere.

femal child Lockie - born ???teenth May 1916.  Definitely daughter to Robert Murray McCheyne Lockie and Mary Lockie (M.S. Milne)

Regards,  :O)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 November 07 07:20 GMT (UK) »
A small note to apologise.  Just had a thought.  I don't know if I've stepped on any toes by posting information about people who may still be alive.  Lesson learned.

I read an item about identity theft yestterday and then thought about what I'd think if my details were being published in a public forum.  Once again apologies.

Regards,   Steve

(since removed names of possible living children)