Author Topic: Gillard family resident st Hellier 1851  (Read 7816 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gillard family resident st Hellier 1851
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish and Stewart for filling in yet more details of this family. I never cease to be amazed by the help people give so thank you.

Trish thanks for reminding me of the Free Reg site which I had completely forgotten about. I looked and found a few more possible leads re. the children marrying. Can't understand the 2 entries for William as it appears they are  for the same person!! I am also bemused that I cannot find the entry for Alice Mill Gillard in 1868.

Stewart firstly I think that William's place of birth could be Trenglos especially the last letters with a double s looking like an f. Good to have the second marriage definitely confirmed and also the death of the first wife Mary Ann. As her birthplace is given as England I'll have a chase around for her also a marriage now I have her last name accurately. Again thanks for your wonderful help. All much appreciated.

Regards
Sue ( South Australia )

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 March 14 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Well after an extensive index search I'm sorry to report that I cannot see the first marriage for William Gillard.

As regards Harriet Gillard, I searched through all the marriage records and could not find anything. She is there in 1851 but gone by 1861. I thought I would look through the death records from 1851 to 1861 and low and behold she died 9th Mar 1857 at 04:15 am at Dorset Street, St. Helier (Ref: St. Helier deaths, Dec 1855 to Jun 1857, volume 11, page 94). She was aged 31 years and died of "phthisis". Ann Haley was present at her death. However, it gives her name as Harriet Gillard, widow of Samuel Down. (The 1851 census shows it could be Samuel Downs in St. Clement. Unfortunately it only gives his place of birth as England) So I searched again for a marriage and then for a death of Samuel Down, but failed to find either of them. A quick search of UK marriages also failed to find anything. Could they have married overseas or in Guernsey??

In searching records I have also looked at a Funeral Director's details. They show a funeral on 26th Apr 1892 for Marie Mill Gillard, aged 72 years, widow of George Toms and wife of William Gillard. She died 23rd Apr 1892 at 1, Poonah Lane, St. Helier.

I'm not sure whether I've completed all your enquiries. Is there anything else you need?

Stewart

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 March 14 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stewart

I am amazed at how much more you have found and thank you very much for all your work. You have answered all my questions and more. The first marriage of William Gillard To Mary Ann Tabbs is a mystery but we have her name. You have also solved the question of Harriet including a husband. Seems like it was an unhealthy family...two siblings dying of TB. My husband's 2X great grandmother Elizabeth Gillard --another sibling to Harriet and Simon stayed behind in Cornwall and lived at least to her 70s. Now I have to find her death!!

Thanks once again and all the very best from a sunny South Australia.

Sue

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 March 14 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart

I have been rechecking my material on this family and have just looked at the family Elizabeth Gillard married into--the Vospers from Laneast Cornwall. It seems that maybe Elizabeth's brother in law Richard Vosper ( born 1825 Laneast) went to Jersey--St Peters between 1851 and 1861. He may have married a Mary Ann before 1858 (the birth of their first child Richard in 1858). I can see on the Censuses that he gives his place of birth as Cornwall and he is variously an agricultural labourer /gardener. At some point when you are in the archives would it be possible for you to check to see if there is a marriage for a Richard Vosper and a Mary Ann?? She gives her place of birth as St Peters Jersey c1829. I'd love to confirm that this is indeed the Richard Vosper on the family tree.

There's no hurry about this at all.

Many thanks

Sue

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 March 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Richard Vosper married Mary Ann Le Brun  on 1st Jul 1855 at St. Peter's Parish Church. Richard was aged 29 years, a bachelor, a servant  and was living in St. Peter. He was from Laneast near Launceston, Cornwall. His father was William Vosper, a farmer.

Mary Ann was aged 25 years, a spinster living and born in St. Peter. She was also a servant. Her father was Phillipe Abraham Le Brun, a farmer.

The witnesses were Pierre de Gruchy and John Carrel.

Ref: St Peter marriages, Aug 1842 to Dec 1866, page 93.

Some good old Jersey names!!

Stewart

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 March 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Once again I can't  believe what you have found. Your information confirms my hunch that this was the correct Richard(from a Census search) but with the name of his father, William, you have confirmed it. Now I'll have to see who in this expanded family, was the first to come to Jersey!!

You're a star!! I've spent many a happy hour using your information--all the more interesting since I am holed up with a fractured ankle--unable to drive for 2 months.

Kind regards
Sue

Offline jamesfrank

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 September 14 15:23 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Sue.

The Gillards of St Brelades was my  GGgrandmother  Mary Ann (Tabb) born in St Brelades, married a William Gillard 1845 who was Killed in a quarry blast, about 1858. They had William who died in 1892. Mary Ann b 1846, Mary Ann b 1849, John b 1851 died at sea 1875 in HMS Euridice.  Wiilliam would have gone to England as a quarryman, as did my ggrandfather and sons. Not cornwall,  Portland, and 9 mile point wales. Two girls named Mary Ann - no doubt a mistake or very poor writting. Mary Ann Tabb had 6 brothers and 1 sister. Not a lot known about them.
Hope this helps a bit.
Trish1120 mentions the above. Interesting Shopkeeper?
Its very interesting to read the various replies though.

I hope you get definte answers to your quest.

:) James