Author Topic: South African Passenger Lists?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
South African Passenger Lists?
« on: Monday 16 September 13 17:43 BST (UK) »
The following voyages feature another of my (lost) great grandaunts - this time Elizabeth Lyons. These are the UK passenger list parts of the voyage, but I am wondering if there are equivalent records on the South African side of things? I am hoping to find out which of her sisters she was visiting during these times, and where they were living.

South Africa to England, 1928
Name: Elizabeth Lyons. Birth Date: abt 1893. Age: 35. Port of Departure: Durban, South Africa. Arrival Date: 02 Apr 1928. Port of Arrival: Southampton, England. Ports of Voyage: Cape Town. Ship Name: Edinburgh Castle. Occupation: Nurse.
Source: UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

England to South Africa, 1929
There is a “Miss E Lyons” of 43 Beaufort Rd, Birmingham, England travelling to South Africa, departing Southampton, England on the SS Edinburgh Castle on 30 Mar 1929. She is single, and a nurse aged 36, which would put her approximate birth year as 1893. Country of intended future permanent residence is South Africa.
Source: UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960

South Africa to England, 1932
30 May 1932 - Arrival of "Elizabeth Lyons" at Southampton, England from Durban, South Africa - Age: 35 - last permanent residence "South Africa". occupation "trained nurse". proposed address in UK "Green Leas, Spofforth, Wetherby, Yorkshire" (probably to visit her brother Thomas) Intended future residence "England". Ship name "Windsor Castle"
Source: UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: South African Passenger Lists?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 12:17 BST (UK) »

Hi there

You can try eggsa.org.za, they have some passenger lists transcribed.  You can also try this site if you haven't already http://www.sagenealogy.co.za/Ships&Passengers.htm, you can also try Cyndi's list, http://www.cyndislist.com/south-africa

Good luck
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)