Author Topic: MYLES WHELAN  (Read 11497 times)

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MYLES WHELAN
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 March 14 19:36 GMT (UK) »
     A photo of the headstone recording the deaths of William ,Bridget & Margaret Mary Whelan just won't travel for me. The deatils of dates are as I have already outlined to you.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 March 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Not saying you are avoiding the issue but you say you have looked at the church record for the Whelan /Fenlon marriage do you mean the civil cert which only gives fathers name as you did'nt list his mothers name which would be in the actual church entry.
I'm not trying to be smart with you here just trying to clear up this mess as if you are right then i have to start all over again and i cant see any other family with the same details.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 March 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
No I don’t believe that you are being smart and I have no reason to be evasive.

The marriages in a Roman Catholic Church in Ireland are recognised by Church & State. The marriage register is signed by the couple and priest and witnesses after the marriage ceremony. Therefore what is recorded at the Catholic Church is just replicated by the Supt. Births ,Deaths & Marriages.
I am looking at an old Marriage Certificate (Catholic Church) for 1930.  There are 9 main headings: 1  no in Register, 2 Date of marriage, 3 Both names, 4 Age, 5 Condition-Bachelor/ Spinster Etc,       6 Rank or profession, 7 Residence at time of marriage. 8 Fathers name and Surname, 9 Rank or profession of father.

I am also looking at a marriage certificate (Catholic Church) for 1970.
At 8 above it also requires the Mothers name and maiden surname.

So what I will do is pick up a copy of this marriage certificate Whelan/Fenlon for you in the next couple of days.

I had a different reason for having a look at the register.

Myles Whelan married a Mary Fenlon in 1914. I never checked if Bridget & Mary were sisters.
Myles & Mary had a son William born 1914. Mary died 1915.
This William married and his wife’s name was Mary?

This may be of help!!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 March 14 11:03 GMT (UK) »
My William firstly married Julia Nolan 1894 in St Josephs Terenure giving his parents as William Whelan and Margaret Redmond of Wexford yet he constantly says on census born Carlow,saw the church microfilm for this marriage.
Secondly to Mary Kennedy in St Pauls Dublin in 1922 first wife died 1918 got death cert confirmed.
on this marriage says parent Thomas Whelan ,Gamekeeper.
Halston St church holds records for St Pauls wrote to them and got phone call from them stating William's parents Thomas Whelan and Julia Dalton.
as i said chased up Thomas and Julia in Rathvilly found their marriage in 1848 and most? of their children but no William.
The main problem with all this for me is the isolation in Dublin from his family no kin ever appear as sponsors or witnesses on any documents and believe it or not no photo graphs of him exist.
his six children from his first marriage all appear on Irish Genealogy in St Josephs but not his marriage Henry appears as Henricus you have to search seperately for him.
His son William born 1904 does not appear on the census with him but appears in Hospital with scarletina in 1911 as W W age 7 born Dublin i thought this son died but when Irish Genealogy came online i could see in the remarks column for his baptism where the priest recorded a marriage for him in Holloway in London 1945 and believe he had a son Henry.
Where as you have privvy to the family mentioning that William was a coachman and suffered ill health because of it which would only be known to close knit family.
Its a bitter disappointment for both my brother and myself after all these years of research to find he is not from your family and i cant see any other avenue to explore to sort out who he really was.
Thanks for putting me right anyway,i think his lineage is going to remain a mystery.
Cheers
Dathai.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Dathaí,
Don’t give up just yet. I have just recently found a relation I spent 3 years looking for.
Good luck with your search.
Slán,
Lochanee

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I think i will have to reverse my thinking on his parents and assume the 1922 parents are correct and that he may have had to tell porkies on his first marriage as no birth cert or baptism cert seems to survive for a William of Thomas Whelan and Julia Dalton.
As far as i can tell he would have had to produce a baptism cert for his first marriage probably got your Williams as they could'nt find his ?

Offline Alanbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 August 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Daithi
I'm wondering do you know anything about Jame, the brother of Myles, that went on to marry Mary Meyler of Mayglass

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 August 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
          I think you would have to direct that question to Lochanee as he is their direct relative,he unfortunately for me has proven that i am not related.

Regards
Dathai.

Offline Alanbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Any idea how I direct a question or send a message to him
Thanks Daithi