Author Topic: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning  (Read 11573 times)

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning
« on: Monday 31 March 14 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi wondering if anyone can help, I am researching an Ann Fanning, born around 1800, who came from Co Wexford. All I know is she was from a place called Palace?
In 1820 she married a man called Thomas Moran in the parish of Glendalough in Co. Wicklow. The couple then lived in Co Wicklow where they had 7 children before emigrating to Canada and then America around the late 1840s.
Allowing for changes in spelling over the years, wondering if anyone has any ideas where Palace might be, I was looking at Pallis Upper/Lower and Pallis Hill as an option?
I got some baptism records for Fannings in the parish of Kilanerin, and on one there was a note that this baptism took place in Corcannon? I was wondering where this place is.
I believe Ann Fanning came to Wicklow sometime before she married in 1820, and may have been connected to a Fanning family with the names William, Bryan, and Robert. Would appreciate any ideas. Margaret

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 01:45 BST (UK) »
osi viewer Ireland is a great resource,,,,heres Killinierin again,,,,a historic map,,,,Corcoran is just to the right if you drag the map,,,,you can also look at different views in history using the historic overlay menu,,,bottom right,,,,and zoom in and out,,,,top  left....takes a bit of getting used to,,,but brilliant once you have mastered it.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716058,665725,6,8
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 02:02 BST (UK) »
Kilanerin and Pallis  are not a million miles from each other ? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7315597,-6.289521,15z     just go west up the main rd,,past   Limbrick castle meadow,,,,carry on to Knocklahaun,,,,and Pallis just north of Knocklahaun.
Drag slightly right,,and you can see Corcoran,,,,so these 3 places are within a few miles of each other.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 14 02:15 BST (UK) »
I only mention Corcanon  as I cant find a Corcoran in Wexford,,,,,

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 March 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all that information.
I have found the osi map search very useful to locate these places.
Sorry my misspelling, it is Corcanon that I am interested in.
 As the baptism record I got for around 1800 noted the baptism took place there I was wondering was there a Chapel of Ease there?, as there is no address on the record I was wondering if this might be the closest church to Pallis?.
Also on another Baptism record from that time is an address Stuben? I can't find anything to match, as many names were written as spoken at the time , I wonder if there is/was any townland in the area that might sound like that.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 March 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Palace east and west are in the parish of Oldross see Griffiths Valuations search under place name and county.

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 March 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dathai, yes I had found Palace - Oldross in the Griffiths, while Pallis is there in the Gorey area, but in the Tithe Applotment Records in 1830s it has Pallace in Oldross, and Palace ( the one that is  Pallis in Griffith's) in the Gorey area, so it is confusing.
 I guess either may be the birth place of Ann Fanning that I am researching.
I did come across the family name Fanning in Knocklahuan which is close to Pallis but perhaps that is just coincidence.

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
Saw your email--- had been looking in Co.Kilkenny and Co.Wexford is just adjacent so thought I would take a shot.
Looking for 3 FANNING brothers who came to US  at separate times (1855-1870)
Mathew.         bc. 1834
Lawrence.      bc  1835
Patrick.          bc  1850

They settled in Eastern Kansas (Johnson County).
They married Irish women in the U.S.
They were farmers and stock raisers.

Lawrence had children named (not necessarily in birth order)
Mathew
John Edward 
Martin Lawrence
Margaret
Michael Francis
Patrick
Mary
Agnes 
Lawrence M
Edward
William Leo
Catherine