Author Topic: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning  (Read 11572 times)

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Murphy,
Don't see any connections at the moment but I have very little on the Fannings yet, so who know's if I get some more information on the Fannings of the Pallis/Palace locality where it might lead.
Margaret

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for considering,Margaret.

Good luck with your further research.

Murphy

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
Pallas is probably the modern spelling of the area and is just outside Gorey, north Co.Wexford.

Early births around 1800 etc would have been in Kilanerin Chapel as this was were the catholic church was. At the time no catholic church was allowed in Gorey until the 1840s when St. Michaels was built in Gorey. Kilanerin is about 3 or 4 miles outside Gorey town.  You would not be very far from the county Wicklow border then either when there. Thanks Gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 April 14 01:39 BST (UK) »
Gerard, thanks for your reply.
 Do you know anything about a chapel in Corcannon around 1800, as one of the baptism records has a note that the baptism took place at Corcannon, but the parish is recorded as Kilanerin ?

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 April 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I have not heard of Corcannon, but as you say it is probably a townland/area up in Pallas from the maps indicated by other rootchatters.
I met Michael Fitzpatrick the local historian last night at a book launch; and will be calling to him next week for a catch up. I will ask him about the townland of corcannon and if he has heard of it.
The only other thing I can think of is to ask some local from that area. I will ask my mam if she knows anybody from that part of the world who might have some idea. Thanks Gerard

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 April 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
The names of the families living in Corcanon (note only 1 n) can be found by looking up Griffiths Valuation. There were no Fannings there when that was carried out (c 1853).

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 April 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret, I think you need to re-check your location and addresses/townlands.
From my quick look at it this is the following:

Pallas is near Kilanerin outside Gorey in North Wexford and is close to the Wicklow border. If you are in this area; the most likely church for baptisms is Kilanerin Church.
As I said before Kilanerin was the main church for Gorey as well before St Michaels in Gorey was built in 1839/1840's.

Corcanon is NOT in Pallas.
Corcanon is a townland in the parish of Kilcavan which is near/on side of Tara Hill.

Corcanon - Townland.
306 acres. Barony of Gorey.
Civil parish of Kilcavan.
Poor law union of Gorey.

In this case; the local chapel is St. Kevins Church Tara Hill.  There is a small graveyard up past it known as Kilcavan graveyard. You are on the "side" of Tara Hill when you are there.

So it may be that your family travelled down from Pallas area for some reason to Corcanon in Tara
Hill to baptise the baby. You can use the small country roads around Tara Hill to get to Inch, then Pallas - Kilanerin area. Hope this helps you.

Thanks
Gerard

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks for recent replies, yes perhaps the baptism took place in Corcannon because they family were there for some reason, or perhaps there was some problem with the church in Kilanerin, (It was 1797, so before the 1798 troubles or I might have thought the church was burnt down ) anyway thanks for all useful information.

Offline Meep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 October 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
There was an Anastatia Fanning born 1800 in New Ross, County Wexford in 1800. http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Fanning-469

I'm wondering if she is the same Ann Fanning of Pallace who married Thomas Moran of Wicklow in 1820 and is buried in Canandiagua, NY. http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Moran&GSfn=Ann&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1860&GSdyrel=before&GSst=36&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=147865503&df=all&

Palace is not far from New Ross and at least one of her siblings was baptized in the Catholic church at New Ross http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=joycemn&id=I2305

Please let me know if you think Anastatia Fanning might be Ann Fanning Moran.