Author Topic: Holybourne Nursing Home  (Read 3910 times)

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Holybourne Nursing Home
« on: Sunday 27 August 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find info about this nursing home in Alton Hampshire please.
Was it a private one and what kind of cases did it cater for?
Also is it still there and any pics if possible.
Thanks
bulsara

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Holybourne Nursing Home
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 06 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi bulsara,

My younger sister and I were both born in places called "Nursing Homes." At least during the 1930's and 40's such places made maternity care available to women who did not wish to have their babies at home.

I do not know when this type of service was implemented, how the homes were structured, the rules under which they operated, or even whether such places still exist.

Starting in 1906, Alton was the site of a treatment centre for children with non pulmonary TB, so there would have been orthopedic surgery performed. Did they perhaps use Nursing Homes as convalescent facilities?

I regret that my answer is not more satisfactory but this information might lead you to ask different questions to find what you want to know.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 06 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Beth,I think it was used in this case for maternity care.Perhaps there was no nearby hospital.I presume you had to pay to go there in1947.
bulsara

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 06 00:56 BST (UK) »
The Old Nursing Home - now Malthouse Mews...
a photo can be found here:
http://www.holybourne.com/about/photos/photo1.htm

Another genealogist ...refers to same site....also looking...as he was born
there...so was used for birthing facility, we can know that for sure!
http://tinyurl.com/m6o2l

Was used for senior care around mid century...
http://tinyurl.com/noq3v
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 06 01:28 BST (UK) »
The NHS came into being in 1948 so yes, payment would have been necessary to use a Nursing Home. There were some insurance subscription plans which enabled ordinary people to afford some services, again I only know a minimum about the details.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline marn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I don't know if this is of any help but there must be a register of this nursing home - possibly as a maternity home with the local council - so maybe you can get some info from the library records or deeds?

Offline janeh

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 07 04:19 GMT (UK) »
You asked about the Holybourne Nursing Home. The first mention that I have found of it so far is that on 26 December 1941, the Alton Gazette printed the following advert:-
‘Holybourne Cottage Nursing Home, Alton, Hants. - There are Vacancies for MATERNITY PATIENTS at this Nursing Home. Fees moderate. Up-to-date equipment.’
It was run by Mary A Willcocks and Elizabeth A Martin, first in Holybourne Cottage and then in premises known as Inwoods - which had been a large house and out buildings. During the war, a lot of people were evacuated out of Portsmouth up to Alton and the surrounding villages, including Holybourne. There were also soldiers stationed here and 3 POW camps so various local buildings were taken over and there was a need for a private maternity home. Maternity cases were also taken to part of the old Alton Union workhouse which had been re-addressed 39a Anstey Road.
Locally, there are records of the deaths of babies born there from January 1942 until December 1949. After that, the Nursing Home changed to taking the elderly.
If you would like anymore information, do get in touch. There have been articles about the Nursing Home in the Holybourne Village Newsletter. Yours Jane.

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 07 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info janeh.I would be very interested to hear any more about the nursing home as my 1/2 sister was born there and adopted straight from birth.My father when he sired her was stationed in the area at the "Polish Camp".I have only just started researching this area of my tree so am very keen to learn all that I can.
bulsara

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 07 00:31 GMT (UK) »
marn & janeh! Welcome to rootschat...so nice of you to come on, janeh and share what you know with bulsara! 
 :D all the best...J..J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com