Author Topic: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen  (Read 27443 times)

Offline tracylee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Don't know if anyone can help me but I'm trying to find information about my family members Edward Elliott and his son Solomon.  I remember my Nan telling me they ran a boxing Booth at fairgrounds.

Solomon was born in Taunton in 1838 and I have a census entry from 1871 which shows them in Christchurch and lists Edward's occupation as 'showman'.  It list edward's birthplace as Scotland.

I don't really know much about my Nan's side of the family so I'd be really interested if anyone knows anything about them or has a connection to share.

Thanks

Tracy

Offline Cheryl16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
1891  South Mimms Middlesex

Soloman is described as  travelling showman/ gypsies. Siblings Thomas and Eliza are also described as showman

Soloman Elliot 23
Eliza Elliot 24
Robert Elliot 2
Thomas Elliot 21
Eliza Elliot 19
Robert Harry 21

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1052; Folio 101; Page 26; GSU roll: 6096162.
Smith, Burrell. Covell, Stonebridge

Offline tracylee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this.  Do you know where on line I can look that up?  I tried on ancestry.com but nothing came up.

Thanks

Offline Cheryl16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I got it from ancestry.co.uk  Go there and...

When the first page opens on the right select 1891. When the 1891 page loads scroll down and there should be a box labelled census   just put the census reference in their from my mail. It will open up the record.

Cheryl
Smith, Burrell. Covell, Stonebridge

Offline tracylee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I have it.

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy,

Just seen your post about Solomon and Edward Elliott and I think we may have a connection as my great grandmother is Annie Elliott, sister to Thomas & Solomon and daughter of Edward. She married my gt grandfather William Smith in Ipswich in 1896 and they had approx 12 children, one of whom was my nan. They did run a boxing booth stall and gt nan was a feisty little thing who would take on most people in the ring as well. I still have relations who travel with the fair, although the boxing booth has long gone.
I believe that Edwards wife was also called Annie and his mother may have been called Sarah. It can be rather difficult in tracing them and I have hit a wall so many times with this side of the family. Let me know if you want any more details.

Cheers

Alison

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Just logged on to see if I could find anythng out about the Elliott and West travellers and I am very excited to see there is a link to the family in Ipswich in 1896.  My great uncle Ernest James Stammers married Louisa Elliott - daughter of Edward - in Ipswich in 1899 - could this link be how they met?  In 1901 they are living with Louisa's maternal grandparents in Shirley - by early 1902 Ernest enlists saying he is single and has no children - 1905 he goes AWOL July 5 1907 he dies - no mention of relatives on his death card and no record of his death at Kew.  Also can't find out anything about Louisa after 1901.  In view of the family links are there any legends which have been passed down about Louisa and Ernest?  I'd love to hear from someone - already in touch with Tracy.

Maureen

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
A bit more Alison - Edward b c 1832 married Sarah Slack b 1832, their son Edward b  c 1852 in Dorset married Hannah Maria West b 1851 on 17 January 1879 in Alverstoke, Hampshire.  The children were Thomas b 1871, Ellen b 1874, Edward b 1876,and  Louisa b 1877 is the lady who married my grand uncle Ernest, Annie b 1879 - it was the parents of Hannah that Ernest and Louisa were lodging with at 10 Henry Gardens, Shirley at the 1901 census - other members of the gypsy family were nearby in their caravans.  Does this add anything for you?

Maureen

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Maureen, it would seem that we are possibly related via the Elliott line as my gt nan is Annie b 1879. She married William Smith from Lavenham, in1896 and they appeared to be neighbours, him at 16, her at 18 Bramford Road in Ipswich. Her father is listed as a licensed Hawker and Williams father is a Horse Dealer. It would appear that Annie was named after her mother as my mum always knew her full name to be Anna Maria and she is listed as that on her death certificate.
On details I have managed to trace I have not seen a Louisa but an Eliza - could the names be mixed up??I know because one of my gt aunts was always known as Kate but her real name was Ellen!!!The details that you have supplied do appear to add up for me as most of the kids were born in the Hants/ Somerset area but as I saied before you do sometimes hit a large wall when investigating travelling families. I sorry I don't have any other details on Louisa or ernest that I can offer to you but we do look like we are looking into the same family.

Alison