Author Topic: Joseph Hamilton Missing On 1851 Census  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Joseph Hamilton Missing On 1851 Census
« on: Friday 27 November 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to find Joseph Hamilton (born c.1818 in Ireland according to other census entries) and his family on the 1851 census without any luck.  Joseph married Agnes/Ann Rennie in the early 1840s probably in Renfrewshire but I can't find the marriage record (she was likely born in Edinburgh/South Leith and I can't find a birth record for her either but I believe her name was Agnes after her mother.  She is sometimes referred to as Ann on certificates and census entries though.) 

I think I may have found Joseph on the 1841 Census with his mother and a possible sister Mary living on Donny Holm Street in Kilbirnie, Ayrshire but I can't be certain this is him as it's possible he hadn't emigrated to Scotland at that point or could have been living elsewhere in the country.

I have, however, definitely found the family on the 1861 census living at 6 Schoolwynd Street in Kilbirnie.  Joseph and Agnes had at least the following children: Frances/Fanny (born c.1845 Lochwinnoch), Mary (born c.1846 Kilbirnie), William (born c.1849 Kilbirnie), John (born c.1850 Kilbirnie), Jane (born c.1853 Kilbirnie), Williamina? (born c. 1855 Kilbirnie), Janet (born 1859 Kilbirnie), David (born 1861 Kilbirnie) and James (born 1863 Kilbirnie).

I've tried searching for all of them in 1851 without luck.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hamilton Missing On 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
 1851 Census, Ayrshire, Scotland
Parish: Dalry; ED: 9; Page: 5; Line: 1; Roll: CSSCT1851_130
Household schedule 13. They start on line 1
at No 1 Sevendlees Row

Joseph Hamelton 40, head, born Ireland, miner
Annie Hamelton 27, wife, born Midlothian, Edinburgh
Franies Hamelton 9, son, born Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire
Ellen Hamelton 7, dau, born Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Willian Hamelton 5, son, born Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
John Hamelton 3, son, born Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Joseph Hamelton 1, son, born Kilmarnock, Ayrshire

are you related? do you know where in Ireland Joseph was from?

my Hamilton family's DNA matches a descendant of Joseph on 25 of 25 markers, but I have not been able to trace my own line out of New Jersey, US, back to Northern Ireland, which is where they always said they were from.

Offline sshupeck

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hamilton Missing On 1851 Census
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am on the same search for Joseph Hamilton. I am a descendant of James Hamilton (his great-great grandaughter) and one of my uncles actually traveled to Scotland and got a bunch of information on our family back in the 1970s or 80s. He wrote a book about his travels that I'm unable to find, but I did come across a family tree and copies of James Hamilton's death certificate, his last will and testament, and a land deed for his property in Clarion, PA when he moved there from Ayreshire, Scotland. Looking at the family tree my uncle made, It says that Agnes Rennie was born in 1823 in, and I quote directly from his paper, "Linlithgowski, Eden"? I'm guessing that might be a typo of Linlithgow because nothing else comes up when I google it. But she married Joseph in 1843 in Kilbirnie.

Hope that helps! And I would love to hear if you found more information on Joseph. I wish I could find my uncles book. That would probably solve a lot of things.   :-\

-Shaylin