Author Topic: 1871 England Census Liverpool Toxteth Park address confirmation  (Read 582 times)

Offline toolski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 England Census Liverpool Toxteth Park address confirmation
« on: Friday 19 September 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
I am struggling to read the very faint text on the 1871 England Census for Liverpool Toxteth Park parish on the Ancestry website. My ancestor is Richard Thomas 23 Miner, wife given as Sarabelle 23 and daughter Alice M aged 1yr and 4 months. They are listed on page 16 of the census but the address is so faint I cannot make it out. I am travelling to Liverpool on 27th Sept to take my son to the University open day and had hoped to visit the road where they lived. Any help reading this address and transcription would be very much appreciated.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 England Census Liverpool Toxteth Park address confirmation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat :)

It looks like 76 Wolfe Street.
RG10/3799 Folio 11 page 15

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
Yes it is 76 Wolfe Street but it's not "Sarabelle" - the wife's name is Charlotte

Here's a photo of Wolfe Street as it was circa 1909 http://www.liverpool-city-group.com/liverpool/streets/images/liverpool-streets-l8-wolfe-street-1909.jpg
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
It is Wolfe Street but the street your ancestor lived in has long since gone. There is a new Wolfe Street approximately on the same site but nothing, I assure you, like the original.
Also I do not think your ancestor was a 'miner'. There are no mines at all in this area.
If you look above on the same page you will see something similar. Likewise on other pages.
Comparing the writing and knowing the area could your ancestor have been a mariner?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
You can see the old Wolfe Street on the Town plans at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=335235,388551

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toolski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 September 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for giving me the correct address, just a shame it's not still there for me to visit. To clear up a few questions, firstly yes I did know the wife's name was Charlotte and not the incorrectly transcribed Sarabelle. Also Richard Thomas was indeed a miner, starting out in the coal pits of his home county Staffordshire in the 1860's. I believe he came to Liverpool in 1870/1 to work on the rail tunnels being built around that time. By December 1871 the family had moved to the shanty towns on Ingleton Fells to work on the Blea Moor Tunnel which is just north of the Ribblehead Viaduct, also being constructed as part of the Settle to Carlisle line. Their second daughter was born here in the December. It must have been a very harsh life but possibly better paid than coal mining hence his move away from Staffordshire.

In the mid to late 1870's the family worked on tunnels in Derbyshire and Rutland before settling near Chepstow in Wales where the Severn Rail Tunnel was being constructed. By This time, 1890, Richard had become an Engineer's Foreman (Railway Tunnelling) and later acquired some shares in GWR.

I could go on! Their story is fascinating and links with other lines of my family who lived and worked the railway tunnels all over the Uk in the 19th century. One other interesting fact about the Thomas family is their 3rd daughter Louise who was born in Rutland in 1878. In the 1900's she became governess to the de Havilland family, fell in love with and married the eldest son Geoffrey de Havilland who became one of England's earliest aviators and founder of the de Havilland aircraft company. From miner's daughter to Lady de Havilland, an amazing life.

Thanks again for your help and for the links.