Author Topic: Yatesbury - churchyard/cemetery  (Read 8135 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yatesbury - churchyard/cemetery
« on: Wednesday 16 October 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have or know the whereabouts of the transcriptions of headstones effergies or grave plots for the St Marys correction - All SaintsChurch cemetery/graveyard in Yatesbury Wiltshire.......   thank you.....?

Moderator comment: modified to give correct church name

Offline Hystericalwriter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Yatesbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 October 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
I would think that any transcriptions will be held at Chippenham Heritage Centre: http://wshc.eu/
or maybe the Wiltshire FHS has some information: http://www.wiltshirefhs.co.uk/

This is an interesting site with lots of photos of the church at Yatesbury: http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/ph_yatesbury.htm

And this the opc site for Yatesbury: http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/genealogy/index.php/parish-directory/item/30-yatesbury

My now deceased ex husband was stationed at RaF Yatesbury in the 1960s............barely anything of the camp remains

Anne
OWEN(s): Llangurig, MGY; JOHN: Treherbert GLA; LEWIS: Margam GLA; BOON: Brixham, DEV
VITTERY:Brixham, DEV; FRANCE: Brixham, DEV
GLOVER: Parkham, DEV ;BOIT: Wellington, SOM
YOUNG: Castle Combe, WIL; LIVINGSTONE: Limavady NI; CAMPBELL: Ballykelly, Derry

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 October 13 23:54 BST (UK) »
thank you ann for the response......

the remnants of the airfield show me that restoration of the farmland and or parts of the airfield under the national trust have been a dismal affair.     regretably the farms,   both tuckeys and tanners which constituted the airfield where in actual fact where my family spent the good part of 150 years until my great great grandpa died in 1907.          regretably the microfilms only make up part of the affair and anyone studying Yatesbury will know that the transcriptions of the parish records are minimal........ the opc and fhs have only copies of the films (which are listed on hugh wallis)

but i will endeavour to continue in vain to search for materials outside the realm of lds.....

thx for the links

:)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 13 05:05 BST (UK) »
seems the church is still operational .... contrary to one site that stated closed in 1975 or so.......   

now have list of all rectors of the church.............   (from another source)

thx again for the oodwoc site link   ....   a few there that were helpful to the cause........

:) :)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 13 05:13 BST (UK) »
another curiousity has arisen with the village of yatesbury.........    the farmers there must have a hard time of the toll gates ......     they would have had to pass through at least one to get their goods to Chippenham markets,  or another on the road to Swindon.............

be interested to know if anyone doin Wiltshire has seen any records on the "leases" or charactors who possessed the gates........   I have seen mention of at a least one in my kin [Shergalls Gate] but not sure if that was more of a geographic feature than a toll......

The other thing that seems to pop up in Yatesbury is the expression "farm baliff".....  which to my understanding if implied as a security guard of sorts....  would be needed after the agarian riots

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 October 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
another curio has popped up.....there must have been a bombing run by the nazis cos there seems to be a high number of deaths ( Polish surnames) or the field had some crash landings........    not sure what is happening there during the war......  but St Mary Yatesbury graveyard has some military graves but not of the locals....maybe someone can enlighten me...thxx

Offline Hystericalwriter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 October 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any evidence of bombing but the CWGC has this information: http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/45326/YATESBURY%20%28ALL%20SAINTS%29%20CHURCHYARD

Probably died as result of flying accidents.........another cemetery in Leighterton. Gloucestershire has New Zealand and Australian fliers buried in the churchyard there, these men also have Commonwealth War Grave headstones..........

Anne
OWEN(s): Llangurig, MGY; JOHN: Treherbert GLA; LEWIS: Margam GLA; BOON: Brixham, DEV
VITTERY:Brixham, DEV; FRANCE: Brixham, DEV
GLOVER: Parkham, DEV ;BOIT: Wellington, SOM
YOUNG: Castle Combe, WIL; LIVINGSTONE: Limavady NI; CAMPBELL: Ballykelly, Derry

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 October 13 06:40 BST (UK) »
thx for that cwgc material........   explains a few things........     getting a few bits of unconfirmed info... maybe there was a fire in the aircraft hangar......    dont quite know the deal yet........

what i am seeing though....   is a lot of folk have attempted ernle and hungerford............   and have identified another owner or leasee of one of the farms  before tuckey which seems to have been overlooked by the researchers of the particular family (Trubridge* sic spelling)    ...my indicators seem to suggest they went to USA.....   not confirmed yet....

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 08:14 GMT (UK) »
It might be of interest that the Polish/Germanic names found in the churchyard at Yatesbury if not marked by the CWGC - may be those of Prisoners of War since there was a POW camp near Yatesbury during WWII.  Reading the book Calne District Soldiers by Richard Broadhead there seems to be several entries for Airmen killed in flying accidents at the Yatesbury Airfield some buried in the churchyard some returned to their home towns for burial.

As a second thought with the POWs - I have an inkling that there was a proposal to re-inter German Citizens in a central burial plot in Staffordshire - this Wiki link bears this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannock_Chase_German_war_cemetery  - Not certain if every grave has been moved here