Author Topic: John Templeton  (Read 10645 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Templeton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

Just acknowledge this message and you are good to go with the PM service.

To send BordersLass a PM with your personal email etc., just click on the small button with what looks like a letter under her username on the l/h side. This will take you through to the PM system which works very much like all email services with an in/outbox.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Alex, just in case you didn't get my last private message, I'll resend it and I'll include my email details.   :)

Thanks Monica for your help as well!
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Aust55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 February 13 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi border lass & alex

Stumbled onto this forum by mistake and happened to find your posts. I live in Australia but was born in Galashiels, my dad was John Templeton as was my Grandfather and Great Grandfather, my Grandmother was Helen Taket, so I guess we are related. I have photos of the boys in their uniforms also a family photo, my aunt and uncle are still alive and live in the borders.  Remember visiting Maggie when I was very young. Would love to find out more.

Cheers!

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 February 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aust55!
Thank you for contacting, I'm very excited to hear from you!  Your grandfather is my great granduncle.  He is the older brother of my great grandfather Adam Templeton.  There were seven children, John, Maggie, Adam, Alexander (Sandy), William (Wullie), Robert and Gilbert.  I went to see Auntie Maggie when I was very young with my mother years ago.  My grandmother, Barbara Templeton Laidlaw, is buried with Auntie Maggie and Uncle Robbie at the Heather Yett Cemetery in Galashiels.  Sadly, my mother passed away last October and I am having her name inscribed on the stone with my grandparents and Auntie Maggie and Uncle Robbie as it was her wish.  I will be going to Gala for a small gathering in her memory at the end of April. I have a photo of both your great and my great great grandfather John Grieg Templeton sitting with my mother when she was a little girl.  I also have a copied photo of your grandfather with all of his brothers in uniform before the went off to World War One. I have an extensive family tree that I have done and lots of birth, marriage and death certificates.  I can't send you a personal email on here yet as you have to have a few posts before I can apparently.  If you want to know anymore information, I'm very happy to pass it on!  Who was it from your side of the family that made the trip to Australia?  My family immigrated to Canada however, I moved here to Britain nearly six years ago and I love living here.  The only ones left from my grandmother, Barbara Templeton Laidlaw are my Aunt and her son as my mother and my Aunt's twin brother have passed away.  There are still Templeton descendants in around Galashiels, my grandmother's brother's children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I am still in contact with them as well as my grandmother's younger sister's children, grandchildren etc, who live in Essex, England, of whom I am also regularly in contact with.
Hope to hear back from you soon!
Borderslass  :)

Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Aust55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Border Lass,

Thanks for the message, here how it goes, my Dad (John Templeton) and Mum (Margaret nee Rigg) left for Australia not long after my Grandmother Nell died in 1965, they settled in Ipswich Queensland, I am an only child. Dad died in 2010 and Mum 2011, Dad's younger sister and brother still live in Galashiels, my Dad was the eldest, there is only one year between each of their births. I remember visiting Maggie and trying on Robbie's bowler hats up in the attic, I have a gold cross that was given to Maggie by her fiancé, who was killed in WW1. I believe I have the original photo of the five soldiers. Did you know there was an Australian side to the family ? I was aware that there was Canadian relatives. It's funny you mention the "carpet" side of the family I remember my Grandfather making rugs by hand !!!

Thanks for the message.

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
I did not know that the Templetons had connections with Australia.  I knew that Maggie's fiancé was killed in the war.  I wish that I had an original photo of the five soldiers, I'm not sure where my mum got the copy from, it's okay but I'd like a better quality one.  My great grandfather Adam Templeton married Agnes Hood.  They had three children, Barbara, John (known as Jack) and Ann.  My Grandmother, Barbara, married Joseph Laidlaw and had three children, Barbara Anne (my mum), Margaret and Kenneth, the twins.  They emigrated to Canada in around 1948.  I am also an only child, Kenneth didn't have kids and my Aunt had two, a son and a daughter (Sarah who sadly died in 1993).  My grandmother's brother Jack had six children in total, two who are still living and her sister Ann had two children, a son and a daughter.  We can't discuss living relatives on this forum.  I'll have to tell my cousin in Gala (Jack's daughter) that you have made contact, she was close with Auntie Maggie and Uncle Robbie, as was my mother  :)

Offline Aust55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 February 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There are lots of names I recall, the only jack I knew was Jackie Templeton Dad's cousin he was a builder and actually visited them in australia. I remember he was a builder and had two  children. 
Are you able to email me ? Getting late here in Australia so will chat later. It's very exciting, I actually received my Grandfather's WW1 medals before Christmas.

Cheers

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 February 13 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I just tried to send a private message with my email address Aust55.  If you don't get it, let me know and I'll try again.
Look forward to exchanging information.

Borderslass  :)