Author Topic: Rhos Uchaf Hall, Llanfynydd, Flintshire  (Read 19495 times)

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rhos Uchaf Hall, Llanfynydd, Flintshire
« on: Monday 29 May 06 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Does anyone know any info on the history on the above hall or any stories connected with it.

My mother grew up in nearby Eryrys, as did most of her ancestors, also in Llanfynydd and Hope.  As a child she remembers well the "stone animals" along the walls of the property and consquently shared her fascination with them to me and my brother when we were small, giving the hall the title "the stone monkey house"!!!  ;D

My grandmother was in domestic service there from the age of 14 in the late 1920's and early 1930s, she also told a story of an airfield being at the back of the hall.

Llanfynydd WW1 war memorial is also set into the stone of the wall, which seems an unusual choice of plot with it not traditionally being in the village??.....

I've included some photos taken yesterday of the stone animals and gardens....in a bid it may jog or ring a bell with anybody's memories!!.......

Any help or stories would be wonderful!!

Many Thanks

Sarah :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rhos Ucha Hall, Llanfynydd, Flintshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:29 BST (UK) »
Just a couple more pictures....if anyone can put them the right way round!!!!!!.....

Offline sharon brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rhos Uchaf Hall, Llanfynydd, Flintshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, Unfortunately I don't have much information on Rhos Uchaf Hall, but some of my ancestors lived at Rhos Uchaf, not necessarily the hall itself but in the surrounding area.Can I ask, does your family have connections with the Smallwoods? The Smallwoods were quite well reputed around the 1750s-1930s. They helped build Ffrith chapel and Cymau chapel which is just up the road from Llanfynydd.
Regards
Sharon

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Cheers for your reply!

I don't have Smallwoods as of yet in my tree!!!!.....but as the surrounding areas are close communities I've sure I may find one branching about along my tree!!  ;D

The name Smallwood does ring a bell though??.....it's probably a name I've seen on gravestones during my ancestor hunt around the area!!

My ancestors are Griffiths', Davies' (typical!!) and Woodwards' all from Ffrith, Eryrys, Treuddyn, Llanarmon and Nercwys and any other teeny-weeny hamlet inbetween.

I grew up in Mold, but have resided in sunny Cheshire for the past 14 years.

If I come across anything of interest I'll let you know!.....and if you want any photos of the area let me know and I'll take them next time I'm "home"

Sarah :)

Offline sharon brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah, There is a small clan of Smallwoods actually living in Treuddyn. I notice you also have Griffiths ancestors, again they appear in my tree. I believe the original Griffiths' came from Mold and were very well known cobblers in those days. Are you a member of GenesReunited? If so, I can give you access to my tree. Just search for William Smallwood b1750c (Llanfynydd) and you should be able to find me
Sharon

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I am related to the same Griffiths family as sem73 (Hi Sarah!)

You said 'I notice you also have Griffiths ancestors, again they appear in my tree. I believe the original Griffiths' came from Mold and were very well known cobblers in those days.' - Does this mean you are also related to the same Griffiths family as Sarah and I?

My connection is William Griffiths of Mold area who married a Martha, their son Henry born 1848 married a Jane Smith. Their son Henry born 1879 married Sarah Brown in 1903 in Llangollen (they went on to live in Glyn Ceiriog) - they were my great grandparents.

Regards

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline sharon brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Alex, I do believe we could be related via the Griffiths of Mold. I have a Peter Griffiths (shoemaker) of Mold 1773 married to Mary Bellis b 1771. Had a son Thomas b1800 (mold) married to Margaret Wynne b.1799. Their son Ishmael Griffiths b.1824 (caused a major accident in a colliery in Brymbo, killing himself and others) married Sarah Jones b. 1825. Their son Thomas b.1844 (liverpool) married Harriet Matthias b. 1845 (broughton, denbighshire)were my 3 x great grandparents. The griffiths tree is very extensive. If you would like a copy send me your email address and we can go from there
best wishes
sharon

Offline jetsetjimbo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 September 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was a William Griffiths born in Mold, Flintshire in the mid 1800's. He moved to Manchester, Lancs, and appears there in  the 1901 census.

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

i m not related to any of you but i (from the age of 3) lived in Ffrith and used to attend the village school in Llanfynydd.  I certainly remember the stone figures on the hall and they used to mesmerize me as a child.

really nice to see them again.

regards

steph
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire