Author Topic: The Four Courts 1916  (Read 8537 times)

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Four Courts 1916
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
I'm really sorry if this has been covered in another link, and I know there are some quite staggering discussions going on over the War Of Independence (Custom House, etc) however, I wondered if anyone might help with the action at the Four Courts in Easter Week 1916?
On a recent visit to Dublin I was able to get to the National Museum and view some iconic objects, but also excited (and relieved) to see my grandfathers name (Denis Byrne I.C.A) on the Roll Of Honour as a member of the St.Stephens Green Garrison.  I made a random search to see if my grandmother Mary Stapleton was on the roll as despite having no firm evidence about her involvement I still had a sneaky feeling she may have been active (as she was during 1917-21) but nothing came up, but was then amazed when a Mary Byrne came out as a member of the Four Courts garrison! Of course, this may not be the same person and possibly odd that Mary used her married name to sign the roll, so I would be most grateful if anyone could help with clarifying this or pointing to any sources that may have further information? Thankyou.
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline dublinbook1916

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Four Courts 1916
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Dear tommobecket

I have your Grandmother listed in the Four Courts garrison in my book

http://www.lilliputpress.ie/author.html?author=Connell%2C+Joseph+E.A.

I am not trying to sell books here, but do request copyright notice if the book is used.

If I can answer questions, I’ll try.

1st Battalion, Women
Margaret Byrne (Copeland); Four Courts
Mary Byrne; Four Courts
Maire (Meg) Carron (Maire McCarron); imprisoned.
Áine ui Chonail
Mrs Martin Conlon
Marcella Cosgrave
Katie Derham; she and Brigid Lyons went from the Four Courts to set up a canteen and first-aid station at 5 Church Street Upper.
Eilis Elliott (Ni Birain); sister, Four Courts
Emily Elliott (Ledwith); sister, Four Courts
M. Elliott
Ellen (Nellie) Ennis (Costigan); Four Courts. Imprisoned.
Anna (Mrs Frank) Fahy; Four Courts
Dora Hartford
Mary Christina Hayes (O’Gorman); Four Courts
Cathleen Healy; Four Courts
Teresa Healy (Byrne); Four Courts
Áine Heron
May Kavanaugh (Duggan); Four Courts
Kathleen Kenny (Blackhead); Four Courts
Bessie Lynch (Kelly)
Brigid Lyons (Thornton); went with Katie Derham from the Four Courts to set up a canteen and first aid station at 5 Church Street Upper. Imprisoned in  Kilmainham Gaol.
Lt Catherine (Katy) McGuinness; Four Courts. Wife of Joe, and aunt of Brigid Lyons.
Rose McGuinness; wounded by flying glass, she was a cousin of Brigid Lyons.
Rose McManners; Vice Commandant of the Inghinidhe branch of Cumann na mBan and chief cook of the garrison.
Brigid (Brid) S. Martin; imprisoned.
Kathleen (Kate) Martin
Margaret Martin (Murname); Four Courts
Florence (Flossie) Mead
Caroline (Carrie) Mitchell
May Moloney (McQuiale); Four Courts
Pauline Morkan (Keating); Four Courts
Phyllis Morkan; Four Courts
Elizabeth (Lily) Murnane (Coleton); Four Courts
Mrs E. (Seámus) Murphy
Brigid Murrane (McKeon); Four Courts
Mary Murray (Allen); Four Courts
Áine Ní Rian
Mary O’Carroll (Lawlor); Four Courts
Eilis (Ni Riain) O’Connell (Bean Ui Chonaill); Four Courts
Ellen O’Flanagan (Parker); Four Courts
Annie O’Keefe (O’Carroll); Four Courts
Maura O’Neill (Mackay)
Louise (Dolly) O’Sullivan (Pollard); Four Courts, imprisoned.
Mary (Mollie) O’Sullivan (O’Carroll); Four Courts
Eileen Parker
Mary Stephenson; Four Courts
Peig Bean Ui Channallan; Four Courts

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Joseph, despite your good intention of not trying to sell books, you have been most unsuccesful and I have ordered a copy - I am sure it will be most valuable and I look forward to reading it.

If you have any further details about Mary (her age or address?) I'd be really grateful as this may help confirm if it is my grandmother?

Once again, thankyou for responding so promptly

Denis
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline LAWLOROCARROLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 February 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Joseph, despite your good intention of not trying to sell books, you have been most unsuccesful and I have ordered a copy - I am sure it will be most valuable and I look forward to reading it.

If you have any further details about Mary (her age or address?) I'd be really grateful as this may help confirm if it is my grandmother?

Once again, thankyou for responding so promptly

Denis

Hi Denis,

My Great-Grandmother and Grandfather knew your Grandmother well. They were in the Columcille Branch together and in Cummann Na mBan together. On Easter Monday our Grandmothers were stationed in the O'Dwyers Club, Skippers Alley opposite the Four Courts with first aid supplies & bringing ammunition along with my Grandmother to the Volunteers including my Great-Uncle Liam O'Carroll, & my Grandfather Larry Lawlor both of the the 1st Battalion Four Courts, A Company Dublin Brigade. My Great-Grandparents wrote letters to aid your Grandmother to get her military pension, along with my Great-Uncle & Great Aunt Annie O'Carroll. If you want to chat about it some more my email is Removed

Your Grandmother lived at 28 Malachi Road, Manor Place, Dublin 7 when she applied for her pension.
Best regards,

Audrey

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 14 11:09 GMT (UK) »
http://1916rebellionmuseum.com

Mary Slevin MJ (nee Mary Stapleton) under the GPO/O'Connel st. garrison

Offline LAWLOROCARROLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rathmore, we found that Mary Stapleton but unfortunately it's not the same woman as Stapleton is her married name and her maiden name is Slevin. We are looking for a Mary Byrne maiden name Stapleton. A lot of women and men didn't sign the rolls of honour or apply for pensions and both myself and Joe have come up empty on her and think it might well be the case in this instance. I sent Denis a photo and he has identified her in it with other women of Cumann na mBan so this is the best proof of her involvement to date.

Offline IrishMedals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 March 14 21:56 GMT (UK) »

Hi Denis,

My Great-Grandmother and Grandfather knew your Grandmother well. They were in the Columcille Branch together and in Cummann Na mBan together. On Easter Monday our Grandmothers were stationed in the O'Dwyers Club, Skippers Alley opposite the Four Courts with first aid supplies & bringing ammunition along with my Grandmother to the Volunteers including my Great-Uncle Liam O'Carroll, & my Grandfather Larry Lawlor both of the the 1st Battalion Four Courts, A Company Dublin Brigade. My Great-Grandparents wrote letters to aid your Grandmother to get her military pension, along with my Great-Uncle & Great Aunt Annie O'Carroll. If you want to chat about it some more my email is audreyflanagan@me.com.

Your Grandmother lived at 28 Malachi Road, Manor Place, Dublin 7 when she applied for her pension.
Best regards,

Audrey

The file you are referring to states that Mary Byrne’s husband was called John Byrne and from reading her file it would appear she was already married when serving during the Rising as the file states she was cooking food for her husband.

Offline LAWLOROCARROLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 14 23:23 GMT (UK) »

The file you are referring to states that Mary Byrne’s husband was called John Byrne and from reading her file it would appear she was already married when serving during the Rising as the file states she was cooking food for her husband.
[/quote]

I've been emailing Denis and yes that is not his grandmother even though it could have been the same man as some of them used middle names in some of their documents. It was from the address and other information in "Mary Byrnes" pension application that proved it wasn't his Mary Byrne not her husbands given name in her file.
There are no other "Mary Byrne nee Stapleton" listed in the published online pension applications.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
This site might be able to help you you can contact them:

http://www.easter1916.ie

also National Library of Ireland: http://www.nli.ie