Author Topic: Locating halpin of cork st  (Read 8552 times)

Offline Cogar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating halpin of cork st
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 March 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Dathai, again many thanks. I am not sure yet how Joseph Hoey fits in except he was in Halpin's house in Cork St in 1911.
I am checking on the family relationship between the Halpins/ Halfpenny/Halpenny and the Hoeys.

Offline Cogar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 March 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also to Taramcdsmall, for the leads to what may be Patrick Sr as Halpin in Rialto Cottages in 1901 and as Halfpenny in Guinness from1895. It not clear why all the name changes.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 March 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Nearly every topic that i have helped research in the last 2 years to do with the name Halpin has come down to this problem where their forebears were Halfpenny/Halpenny.

Offline Cogar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 March 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
A bit more on Patrick Halpin , born 1901, of Cork St (The one who had been, aged 10, with his gran in Drumboory, Co Monaghan in 1911 as Patrick Halfpenny). He joined Fianna Eireann,"6" Sluagh, 1ad Cath, in late in 1915 or early 1916.
On Easter Monday, 1916, they paraded in Donore Avenue. On the Tuesday he went to the garrison in Jameson's Distillery, Marrowbone Lane and was sent to collect ammunition from 42 Ruben St. For the remainder of the week he delivered messages. He stayed on in the Fianna. In 1920, he joined the Volunteers, C Company, 4th Batt.
So Halpins dairy in Cork Street would have been a good place for the fugitives from Jacobs garrison, to seek refuge.

Offline Cogar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 March 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Dathai, further to your post 26, which was

"can i ask how you tie Owen Hoey born 1898 shot 1921 living with parents Owen Hoey and Catherine Mary Cunningham in 1901 to Joseph Hoey born Carrickmacross 1885 and the Halfpenny/Halpenny/Halpin's."

I now understand that Patrick Halpin/Halfpenny/Halpenny of Cork St,  was married to Margaret a sister of the Owen Hoey of Feahoe,Drumboory, who was the father of the unfortunate Owen Hoey who was shot.

I have not been able to find out how the Joseph Hoey, a cousin, resident with the Halpins/Halpennys in 1911 was related.

Offline Tonhil1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile