Author Topic: Robert Aylward & Kate Nolan  (Read 4927 times)

Offline gerry1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Aylward & Kate Nolan
« on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find the marriage records for Robert Aylward and Kate (Catherine) Nolan. They were married in 1861 (approx).
The earliest record I have is the birth cert for their first child Anne Aylward on 5th February 1865 at 10 Charlemont Street. Birth was registered in the district of No. 3 South City (South Dublin union)

On the  1901 census they lived at No 7 Lennox Street, with Robert Aylward and Kate Nolan having birthplace as County Carlow. Robert Aylward's religion was Church of England, and Kate's was Roman Catholic. They were married in 1861 (approx).

On the 1911 census they were living at No 13 Synge Street and Robert Aylward's religion had changed to Roman Catholic!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Aylward & Kate Nolan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
There are baptisms for a number of children for this couple listed on the IrishGenealogy website, which includes many parish records for Dublin city

The dates for these baptism are from 1863 up to 1883 - no sign on a marriage that I can see, in Dublin city parish records or on the Civil BMD Index :

see : Aylward / Nolan baptisms, Dublin city

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gerry1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane for this info.

What would you advise me to do next to try and track down a record for their marriage?

I am trying to work back to their families in Co. Carlow and was hoping that a marriage record would help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
If it was a Church of Ireland marriage, or a mixed marriage in a CofI church than it would have been covered by civil records and appear in the BMD Index, no matter where in Ireland it took place - but no sign that I can see. There are a number of Aylward marriages showing up in the district based in Carlow town.

The marriage could possibly be under some variation in spelling of Aylward... Nolan is probably too common a surname to start the search. Too many matches to check..

If it was an RC marriage and in one of the Dublin City parishes, other than St. Paul's which is only on a pay-website, then it would likely show up on IrishGenealogy. Again either it could be under a variation in spelling, or mistranscribed etc.

The other possibility might be an RC marriage - e.g. in Co. Dublin, Co. Carlow or somewhere in between...

RC marriage records from this time dont usually include much detail - e.g. no father's name etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline MollyMoo19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
As Shane says, the marriage could have taken place anywhere, but the lack of civil registration may suggest a RC church (civil registrations for RC commenced in 1864).   Irishgenealogy.ie has a fair amount of Dublin city records, but as it is not obvious,  maybe look at Carlow for the marriage.  Only Carlow COI records are on irishgenealogy.ie.  These contain a number of Alyward records, particularly in the COI parish of Dunleckney. 

Sorry, I don't know how to attach the hyperlink but see especially the records for a Benjamin Aylward, married in 1860 with an address Bachelor Walk, Bagnalstown. There’s an amount of circumstantial evidence of a family connection which could be investigated further. Benjamin was a house painter; occupations run in families. He had a son Robert, also a daughter Lucy, not such a common name.  Benjamin’s father was Thomas, same as Robert’s first son.   Bagnalstown might be a place to start? 

MM

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
I have a Winifred Nolan born in Carlow in 1865, married to Peter Martin in 1889.  Her father was Peter Nolan, but I have nothing more for her than that.  I wonder is there a Carlow connection?

KD146
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 October 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't know how to attach the hyperlink but see especially the records for a Benjamin Aylward, married in 1860 with an address Bachelor Walk, Bagnalstown. There’s an amount of circumstantial evidence of a family connection which could be investigated further. Benjamin was a house painter; occupations run in families. He had a son Robert, also a daughter Lucy, not such a common name.  Benjamin’s father was Thomas, same as Robert’s first son.   Bagnalstown might be a place to start? 

LINK TO RECORD
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 October 12 11:46 BST (UK) »
If you look at the link that Shane has put up you will see they had a son Thomas in 1863; earlier than Anna

The 1911 census states that they had 12 children in total of which 7 were still alive
There are baptism records for nine on Shane's Link
This is Henry, shown as ELWOOD
Which leaves only two children of the total twelve unaccounted for

I love the fact one of their boarder was a temporary clerk on the Census of Ireland!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline gerry1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Just received a copy of the marriage certificate of Robert Aylward and Kate Nolan's in Liverpool in 1861.
Robert's father's name is given on the certificate as Thomas Aylward (occupation: painter) and Kate's dad's name is Edward Nolan (occupation: Tailor)

Now I am trying to locate a birth record for Robert in Carlow circa 1830 ......the only painter in Carlow called Thomas that I have found lived in Bagenalstown of Dunleckney Parish (COI), but I can't find any records linking him to Robert.

Any advice would be much appreciated.