Author Topic: William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)  (Read 5100 times)

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)
« on: Monday 31 March 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm a new member to rootschat and have been realizing some wonderful help so far on this site so far, and figured I'd attempt another topic and see where it goes.

I have an ancestor with the surname of McEntee - who if my clues aren't leading me astray lead me to a family whose father William Charles McEntee was born in Dublin in 1823. This same William Charles McEntee had his family in the Birmingham, England area. And, he died in Jersey 1894.

I'm trying to research his William's early Irish life and the resources are difficult to come by. I'm assuming due the fire in 1922, etc. there are no census reports to refer to. I'm curious what other options there are for research?

Not only am I interested in tracing the family further, but I have some other issues that I'm trying to work out.

(1) There was another William Charles McEntee in that area it seems who married Kate Williams Burchell and had a son, Henry Hugh McEntee (1869-1949). I'm sure the name was common for that area, but for my own sanity, I'd just like to outrule that the two William's aren't the same.

(2) I have very good reason to believe that the William that lived in England had another child and this child is nowhere to be found in the English census reports living with them. So I'm trying to figure out where this "other child" grew up and lived. This other child -- it's sort of a long story to explain. But, his name was William Charles McEntee also. (born around 1865) And he moved to Central America and had children there. So I'm looking into other leads regarding his childhood also b further researching his father.

I'm also currently living in Aberdeen, Scotland these days -- so getting over to Ireland for a weekend or so (to do research) isn't a crazy idea -- if anyone knows how to direct me?

Zak Jones

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi There Zak and welcome !

My first question would be do you have Charles' marriage certificate, to get his father's name and occupation ?

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
The Charles McEntee on Irish Genealogy 1868 was a medical student and his father Edward Alexander was also in the medical profession ,does this relate to the Birmingham  McEntee.

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles McEntee (b.1823 Dublin)
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for replying. :)

First off, I apologize. The title should have read:

William Charles McEntee (not Charles William McEntee).

There are two men with the same name, both from Dublin -- that I'm wondering if somehow they were the same person. Both born around 1823. (not 1868)

One of these men married an English lady (Emma Kenworthy 1827-1908) in Birmingham in 1851. They had a family in the Birmingham, England area. They had quite a few kids.

The other one had a son with a lady in Ireland (Kate Williams Burchell unknown birth and death) but they had a son (Henry Hugh McEntee 1869-1949). I know very little about this family. But it seems they were in Dublin also. All I have is the baptism record for the son. So I can't guess how long they were together.

I'm looking at the coincidence of these two men because they seem to be from the same area,  obviously have the same name, and I'm assuming at the same age at the same time. Etc.

Ireland seems difficult to get information for the 1820's and 1830's. So I was wondering how to find more information for this specific time period. Even if the two men aren't the same, I'd still be interested in knowing more about their lives.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Zak

Firstly you need to clarify - you state that you have a 'McEntee ancestor' who exactly is this ie names, year of birth, place of birth, occupation, marriage etc etc

All the info that you give us on this person will help us ascertain exactly whom we are to look for in Dublin.

Tara

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 March 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tara for following up yet again.

I'm new to this process so please forgive me if I'm asking an atypical or silly question.

My line with this is that I have an ancestor (and a different - from what I previously mentioned) "William Charles McEntee" born 1865 or 1867 in Birmingham. This particular man went to Guatemala and had children. He would be my grandmother's grandfather. I'm currently investigating him now (a separate rootschat discussion) and just today someone gave me a tip on where I could get his birth certificate in Birmingham.

And it's his father (as I understand) who was also named "William Charles McEntee" that I'm looking into. His father was born in Dublin according to my ancestry.com sources. I know very little about the father's actual time in Ireland except for the idea that he was born in Dublin in 1823. I only know about his time in England.

This is my ancestry profile on the father: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/67935280/person/30177976371

And, this is my ancestry profile on the son (so far):
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/67935280/person/30173366909

The father (in Birmingham) was married to Emma Kenworthy in England. The father was operating a manufacturing business for guns and weapons in England, I believe. I've also seen references to him as being into hardware manufacturing. And interestingly, I've seen in britishnewspaperarchives.co.uk, his name in ads having to do with the West Indies. How or why all that hangs together (if they do), I have no idea.

That really (I'm sure) doesn't help at all figuring out his story in Ireland... :(

I was trying to find more information about the father and his time in Ireland (ie: census reports) but I can't find any clues to look further into this.

I did (however) find references to another William Charles McEntee who is mentioned as being a father to Henry Hugh McEntee (1869-1949) from Dublin. So I'm thinking it's plausible they're one and the same person. Probably not, but it is plausible so I was curious about that lead.

I have a profile on Henry Hugh McEntee here (ancestry) with this other William Charles McEntee as his father mentioned there: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/68488825/person/40184841124

I know absolutely nothing about Henry Hugh McEntee or this other William Charles McEntee -- I can't find anything further on them in ancestry. but it's intriguing to me because of the identical name, the identical town (Dublin), and the identical timeline roughly.

My interest in all this again is to research the origins of my ancestor. I'm trying to find further records of William Charles McEntee into Dublin. And learn more about how to research properly in Dublin and Ireland generally for this time period.

Outside of this information, I have nothing else. :( But, I'm eager to learn how to approach it...

Zak Jones

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 March 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi There Zak

The reason why I ask so many questions is that a lot of the time when I am helping people I later discover that they have run with a lead and made WAY too many jumps back without verifying each and every step along the way.

So, I like for people to give us information on the person whom they are 100% sure of and have lots of information to back this up.

The reason behind this is that Irish records pre 1864 are far and few between and you need a lot of information from the country that your ancestor emmigrated to before even starting in Ireland.

While a name like William Charles McEntee / Dublin / 1823 may seem like a lot of information I'm afraid it's not.

You need to know exactly what part of Dublin William came from to see if church records for that parish still exist, and the religious denomination that he was.

Then you need both his parent's names and his mother's maiden name.

Then an occupation for the father.

While you can get inroads with just some of this information it's best to have as much of it to be positive that you are researching the correct family and not just someone whom happens to have the same name !

So, if I'm reading you correctly William Charlton McEntee b 1865 ish in Birmingham is your Great Great Grandfather . . .

So, my next question is - Do you have the marriage certificate for his parent's William Charles McEntee and Emma Kenworthy ? What has been given as William Charles' father's name and occupation ? Also, have you gotten Dublin just from census ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 March 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
While irishgenealogy is a great site it does not have all church records from all of Dublin, mainly just those in Dublin City Centre and even then there are a lot of records missing or mistranscribed.

Anyway, for now I think this record is worth researching

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a4e0450187798

I don't see how the other William Charles that you have referred to could be yours as it would make him a bigamist, also occupations etc do not match !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 March 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
File this as a possible sister to William Charles :

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/b6c4350187281

Tara