Author Topic: Impounded estate?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Impounded estate?
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Archibald Mackenzie died on 11 June 1886, probate was granted to his widow Susan on 31st January 1887. The estate was worth £3100. Across the entry in the Wills Calender is written "Impounded". Has anyone come across this before and suggest what the reasons might be.

When Susan died in 1903, her estate was only £127, but I assumed that was because she had used most of the money to live on over the previous 17 years.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Impounded estate?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
I haven't come across it before, but I surmise that the word "impounded" somehow relates to the fact that Archibald was found shot dead (in Kingstown), albeit the inquest, as reported in detail in Freeman's Journal a few days later, determined suicide.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise he had committed suicide. That could also explain why probate was seven months after the death. The Wills calender seems to be a printed book as an alphabetical compilation of all the probates and administrations in a particular year. Impounded has been hand written afterwards. He was a ship broker or ship owner and some of his sons were also involved in the same business including my great uncle.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise he had committed suicide. That could also explain why probate was seven months after the death. The Wills calender seems to be a printed book as an alphabetical compilation of all the probates and administrations in a particular year. Impounded has been hand written afterwards. He was a ship broker or ship owner and some of his sons were also involved in the same business including my great uncle.

Sorry, I thought you knew that, my fault, I'm sending you a pm.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
If you contact the probate office in Dublin, they may be able to explain the endorsement "impounded." You would expect there to have been some sort of court order (which may have been reported) but as I say they may offer some general explanation, even if the probate file itself no longer exists.
Elwyn