Author Topic: COULDERY Greenwich  (Read 13330 times)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
COULDERY Greenwich
« on: Friday 28 July 06 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi WG,

My inlaws are Couldrys from Greenwich - I wonder if there is a link.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline WG

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: COULDERY Greenwich
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 06 02:47 BST (UK) »
If we could go back far enough, we'd probably find that all of the Coulderys, Couldreys, Couldrys, etc. are connected. However, it's the Coulderys (with an 'e' after the 'd') that I'm most interested in as my 4x-great-grandmother was Hannah Patience Couldery.

I've collected a fair amount of information on the Coulderys and, along the way, a little bit on the Couldreys and Couldrys. Give me some details on your Couldrys and I'll see if I have anything that might be of interest to you.

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 06 02:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, WG.  I'll look up what I have and PM you.  In the meantime, I have found a 2 year-old Joseph Couldery at 51 Trafalgar Road Greenwich in 1851 - do you already have this?

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline WG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 06 03:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dimps. I don't have the 1851 info on Joseph and his family and would be grateful if you could post the details.

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Not quite the spelling you are after:

1851 Census
HO107/1587 Folio 144Page 27
51 Trafalgar Road, Greenwich

William Couldrey, Head, Mar, 29, Butcher, b. Kent Lewisham
Jane do, Wife, do, 35, b. Oxford(?)  ?
Harriet do, Daughter, 6, b. Kent Greenwich
Jane do, do, 4, do do
Joseph do, Son, 2, do do
Emma do, do, 3 months, do do

If you think this might be the right family, I'll see if I can photograph the address for you.

Dimps

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
Back to your favoured spelling:

1841 Census
HO107/484/7 Schedule 36 Page 34
Loampit Hill, Lewisham

Robert Couldery, 61, Butcher
Alfred do, 22, do
Mary do, 35
William do, 19
Caroline do, 1
Edward Pye, 22, M.S.

All born in Kent

HO107/489/1 Schedule 18 Page 30
Turnpin Lane, Greenwich

William Couldery, 40, Butcher
Ann do, 35
Ann do, 15
Frederick do, 15, Ap
Charlotte do, 13
Edmund do, 8
Emily do, 3
Clara do, 1

Turnpin Lane is in Greenwich Market

Dimps

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 06 15:13 BST (UK) »
1861 Census
RG9/400 Folio 59 Page 8
3 Blackheath Hill, Greenwich

William Couldery, Head, 38, Butcher employing 1 man, b. Kent Lewisham
Jane do, Wife, 45, b. Oxfordshire Oxford
Harriet do, Daur, 16, b. Kent Greenwich
Jane do, Daur, 14, do do
Joseph do, Son, 12, Scholar, do do
Francis do, Son, 10, do, do do
Emma do, Daur, 8, do do
Henry Main, Serv, 16, Butcher, b. do Deptford

Dimps

Offline WG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Not quite the spelling you are after:

1851 Census
HO107/1587 Folio 144Page 27
51 Trafalgar Road, Greenwich

William Couldrey, Head, Mar, 29, Butcher, b. Kent Lewisham
Jane do, Wife, do, 35, b. Oxford(?)  ?
Harriet do, Daughter, 6, b. Kent Greenwich
Jane do, do, 4, do do
Joseph do, Son, 2, do do
Emma do, do, 3 months, do do

If you think this might be the right family, I'll see if I can photograph the address for you.

Thanks. Yes, this is the right family. William Lovelace Couldery was born 30 Nov 1822. His parents were Robert Couldery (born 30 Mar 1787, Greenwich) and Charlotte Hall (born abt. 1785). I've not yet been able to determine who Robert's parents were.

I'm very interested in any and all Coulderys as I believe they are all connected. I have collected quite a bit of information on them from the IGI, FreeBMD, etc. and can connect just about all of them to 3 or 4 branches. If I could go back another generation or two, I feel certain that I could connect all of the branches.

A photograph of the address would be interesting and much appreciated. Although I haven't yet found a connection between William Lovelace Couldery and my 4x-great-grandmother, Hannah Patience Couldery, I am in contact with the 3x-great-granddaughter of Robert Couldery and Charlotte Hall. William Lovelace was the brother of her great-great-grandfather, Robert Hall Couldery.

Offline WG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 06 16:41 BST (UK) »
Back to your favoured spelling:

1841 Census
HO107/484/7 Schedule 36 Page 34
Loampit Hill, Lewisham

Robert Couldery, 61, Butcher
Alfred do, 22, do
Mary do, 35
William do, 19
Caroline do, 1
Edward Pye, 22, M.S.

All born in Kent

Thanks. William is William Lovelace Couldery. Robert is his father (although I think the reported age is wrong - should be 54). His mother, Charlotte (née Hall), died 11 Nov 1827. Alfred (born 23 Jun 1819 in Greenwich) is also the son of Robert and Charlotte, and Mary is his wife. Their daughter, Elizabeth Caroline, was born 15 Mar 1840 in Lewisham. I imagine Edward Pye was a servant. Do you know what "M.S." stands for?

HO107/489/1 Schedule 18 Page 30
Turnpin Lane, Greenwich

William Couldery, 40, Butcher
Ann do, 35
Ann do, 15
Frederick do, 15, Ap
Charlotte do, 13
Edmund do, 8
Emily do, 3
Clara do, 1

Turnpin Lane is in Greenwich Market

This family is very interesting to me also. William Lovelace Couldery had a son, William Robert, born abt. 1842 in Greenwich. He married Emily Couldery (a cousin, I suppose. Although, I haven't yet been able to determine their exact relationship before marriage). Emily's parents, according to the IGI, were William (born abt. 1800) and Ann (born abt. 1809). I wish I knew who William's parents were.

Can you find Ann in the 1851? From the free index at Ancestry.com, I've found that Ann and her daughter's Emily and Clara were visiting in Surrey. I'd love to know the household details. My 4x-great-grandmother, Hannah Patience Couldery, was born in Southwark, Surrey.  If you can find William in 1851, that would be great too, but I can't offer any clues about him as I couldn't find him in Ancestry.com's free index.