Author Topic: Anyone know the layout of Redcar cemetery?  (Read 8701 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Anyone know the layout of Redcar cemetery?
« on: Monday 16 December 13 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I've recently found out that a couple of my ancestors are buried in Redcar cemetery and was hoping to have a look at the grave(s) as it's not a million miles away. However, the council wants £2.50 just to tell me where the grave is.  >:(

I wondered if anyone knows the rough layout and could tell me where to look for graves from the 1950s. I know the 'GravesRUs' ladies used to go there but am not sure if they still use Rootschat.

Would be grateful for any help.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know the layout of Redcar cemetery?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you could try the local Library to see if they have film of the Cemetery burial records and grave plans. You might also find plot details to see if anyone else is buried in the same plot.

Although it is very fulfilling to have hands-on research, it is not always practical. For most people the sum of £2.50 would be a bargain, and I think they would get more than the grave position.

Personally I would give the Council a ring (Cemetery and Cremation) and see what happens. I've had several answers from extremely helpful staff members. Family History gets a lot of support in my experience.

Colin

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure the burial records are held at the NYRO at Northallerton. Redcar and Cleveland Council has just put their burial records on Deceased Online, the £2.50 charge is for a map of the grave location. Other details are chargeable separately, the name of the deceased and the date of burial (which I already know) is £1.50, a burial register scan is £2.00. The cemeteries office (I think they call it Bereavement Services now) certainly used to be very helpful but I think they might be in trouble now if they supplied the details free of charge.

If I lived in a different area then I may well be willing to pay £2.50 but when it's only down the road I really don't want to do that! It could prove quite expensive if I found a number of ancestors there. I'll have a mooch around if all else fails.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 December 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Would it not be worth having a walk in the cemetery and seeing if there's any members of staff there , who could help you?
I work in a cemetery myself (not Redcar and Cleveland so it could be different) , and if a member of public comes to me asking to find a grave - i'll either find it for them , or ring our office with the relevant details. Our office then supply me with a grave number - and i then locate the grave .

I don't know if Redcar and Cleveland  have staff in their cemeteries through normal working hours , but maybe it's worth a try?

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 December 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion diggerman2. I was once looking for a grave in the huge cemetery at Middlesbrough and a man who was working there was very keen to point me in the right direction. However, I did know the grave number. I don't think there are usually any staff in Redcar cemetery, only when they're digging a grave. I'll keep an eye out though when I go for a look around.  :)

Your post did prompt me to have a look at the Friends of Redcar cemetery website, they have a digital cemetery. I searched for the surname and it did find some entries but not unfortunately for the people I was looking for. An interesting website nevertheless.  :)

http://www.tvcm.co.uk/comblogs/walk/forcem.html
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
if you go through the gates were the house is that's were all the old graves starts The Friends of Redcar Cemetery The Friends of Redcar Cemetery are a group of volunteers who work in close co-operation with the local authority and av a websie av a look or email them befor you go

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
Part of Redcar Cemetery (plots D and P) is on this site just in case! http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=2189&scrwidth=1600

and a few graves on here http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2327274&CScn=redcar&CScntry=5&

Probably not you ancestors but worth a look

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 September 14 00:38 BST (UK) »
Great websites Shirl, thanks. Unfortunately I didn't find who I was looking for but very interesting anyway. Have bookmarked it for future use.  :)

Thanks for location details Bsiggyme. I'm aware of the Friends thanks, already checked out their website but thanks anyway.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
What information would be on - Deceased Online?  Redcar cemetery details are now on the website.