Author Topic: Parish records for Middlesbrough? Potentially silly question....  (Read 11559 times)

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Middlesbrough? Potentially silly question....
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 February 14 14:42 GMT (UK) »
The Roman Catholic parish records are held at the Diocesan Archives, 50a The Avenue Middlesbrough and can be accessed by appointment with David Smallwood the archivist.

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 April 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
I finally found the time to visit Middlesbrough Ref Library and have found some info for you.

The marriage between John William Blythman and Edith Long took place at St Paul’s church, Middlesbrough on the 8th March 1924.  Details:

JWB – 25 bachelor Sailorsman of 82 St Paul’s Road, son of George Blythman deceased, Packer.
EL – 24 spinster of 45a Rutland Street, daughter of Thomas Long deceased, Bricklayer.
By Banns, Charles Dobson, Assistant Curate.  Witnesses: William [Scotson]? and Winifred [Scottard/Scotson]? (The microfilm was very dark and it is difficult to make out the exact surnames of the witnesses)

I found a death notice for JWB in the Evening Gazette 4 Nov 1941:
"BLYTHMAN. Suddenly, on November 3rd, John William, dearly loved husband of Edith Blythman.  Cortege leaves residence, 82 St Paul's Rd, Middlesbrough, Thursday 3.0 p.m., for interment at Linthorpe Cemetery.  Friends and workmates kindly invited."

The Burial Register for Linthorpe Cemetery has an entry for John, aged 43 years, of 82 St Paul's Road.  It also says "Britannia Works" in a column headed up Description of deceased.  The burial took place on the 6th November, by the Co-op Society.  Consecrated ground, section X, grave plot number 1987, first in this grave plot.

I ran out of time to look for any articles about John's demise but will have a look in the Northern Echo archives in Darlington next week.  Now that we know the exact date of his death, it will be easier to search.

If you send me your email address in a PM, I can send you the scanned images of the marriage and the death notice.  I have also got info about the Mahoney family and a scan of the death notice for Rachel Mary, née Findlay from 1932, plus RC burial details for Thomas & Rachel Mahoney and Sarah Mahoney in 1935, possibly Thomas's mother?

Tillypeg

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 April 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
As an aside, the Brittania works was part of the Dorman Long & Co. steel works which incorporated the steel rolling mills and wireworks, a "sailorman" would be a person in charge of the finished products in the stock yards, stacking, loading, craneage etc,

James

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 April 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
That's interesting macintosh.  I did wonder when I looked at the marriage document what it could be.  I have plenty of sailors in my tree but had never seen sailorman - I've had another closer look and zoomed in on the image and my first guess as sailorsman was incorrect - it is Sailorman.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Hope JennyMarie gets back in touch again soon to see this.

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 June 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
hi there just came back on after a long time doing no research seen your question found  this1924   BLYTHMAN   JOHN   W   M-201-13-0-237   Middlesbrough
2   1924   LONG   EDITH      M-201-13-0-237 www.teesvalley-indexes.co.uk hope this helps craig

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 June 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi robo196

Welcome (back) to RootsChat.  JennyMarieGradwell who started this thread has not logged on since January although I have sent her a Personal Message to say that I found some information for her at Middlesbrough Reference Library, including the marriage you mentioned. (see my reply to Jenny of 15th January and the full marriage details in reply of 25th April)

Seems a shame that she doesn't know about all this....

Tillypeg

Offline JennyMarieGradwell

• RootsChat Member
  • http://oneateleven.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 August 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much indeed for this amazing information!

I'm afraid life got a little complicated for me and I had to put family history on the back burner for a while, but I'm delving back into it now and I am very grateful for your help.

Apologies for the huge delay in my reply, I do really appreciate this very much! :) :)
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline JennyMarieGradwell

• RootsChat Member
  • http://oneateleven.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 August 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Just a little follow-up having digested the info and updated my tree on Ancestry.

I've passed this info onto my Uncles (JWB's grandchildren) too, they will be really pleased to know it. JWB's death is still a bit of a mystery I think.

I've been updating my tree with all this info (http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/65530361/family) and have also inherited a lot of photos which I'm adding too.

Thanks again! :)

ETA: Jack and Edith Blythman on their wedding day:

Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 August 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Jenny.

The wedding photo is wonderful, they make a lovely couple!

I will send you a PM re the scans.

Tillypeg