Author Topic: Teesside DA and Teesside RC  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teesside DA and Teesside RC
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with information on the Teesside DA Cycling Club and Teesside RC Rally Club 1948 - 1957 era

Many thanks

Ceeoh

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Teesside DA and Teesside RC
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
There were a few cycling clubs in the area - my mam's uncle was president of the Teesside branch of the National Cycling Touring Club for 25 years - but I've not heard of those two.  Do you know which town they were based in? 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
Jomot:
I would assume Redcar and/or Middlesbrough.  As far as I know the Teesside RC was a car Rally Club (possibly Racing Club?), and the DA was the cycling club.  I have a badge which belonged to my husband - crescent shaped, dark blue on either side white in the middle -  TEES  SIDE  D.A.  (Blue) (White) (Blue), and a cloth badge green with red embroidery TEES-SIDE R.C.

He was also a member of the Redcar Motor Club.

Whichever these two mementoes are they would be connected to cycling or cars (not radio controlled).

I tried Googling but the present D.A. appears to be a camping and caravanning club which I do know he was not interested in.

Ceeoh

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 August 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I didn't inherit my Great Uncle's love of cycling but a quick Google suggests that the
club I mentioned above might be the one you're after:  "founded as Teesside District Association of the CTC in Stockton-on-Tees on 13th February 1925".

About half way down on the left hand side there's also reference to the Teesside Road Club.

https://sites.google.com/site/ctcteessidegroup/home

If nothing else there's a couple of contacts I'm sure would be able to help - ask if they remember Bill & Mary Wallace.... they were still cycling well into their old age and cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats when they were in their 70's!

If your husband was a keen cyclist in this area then he would also have come into contact with Jack Taylor Cycles:

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/the-jack-taylor-story/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNsQpCL8LY
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Jomot, this gives me something to work on.

Ceeoh