Author Topic: French - Cork  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Oramazda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French - Cork
« on: Friday 01 August 08 23:57 BST (UK) »
I know I'm flying a kite here, given the state of Irish records, but I thought it might be worth a try.
James French b. abt. 1811 married Martha Ewing b. abt. 1815 they had three children Elizabeth b. abt 1829, Jane b. abt. 1835 and Matilda born abt. 1834. I suspect there's at least one other called Ann (possible married name Armstrong) though no proof. This last mainly because she held the title deeds to a lair in Glasgow and lived at that time in Alma Villa, St. Lukes, Cork.
Apart from Ann all the others lived and died in Glasgow Elizabeth and Jane married in Ireland and Matilda in Glasgow.
Anybody know of this family and more about its Irish roots.
McNaught, Robertson, Wighton, Duncan, Dawes, Fyffe, French, Getty, Herdman, Jelly, Gourlay, Vickers, Armstrong, Ruffell.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: French - Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 08 12:32 BST (UK) »
The dates you are looking for are before civil registration in Ireland and first complete census of Ireland is 1901.
You will be more likely to find details of the family in Scottish records such as census, birth, death and marriage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Oramazda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 08 14:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey but I have already recovered most of the information on this family post Ireland I'm trying to find out information prior to their arrival in Glasgow and to see if my suspicions about Ann were correct. I knew it might prove difficult.
McNaught, Robertson, Wighton, Duncan, Dawes, Fyffe, French, Getty, Herdman, Jelly, Gourlay, Vickers, Armstrong, Ruffell.

Offline campbell_j_w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I know of a Thomas Armstrong (c1841) who died at Alma Villa, St Lukes, Cork in September 1867. He was born in Bannockburn but was living in Glasgow in 1861 at 73 Eglinton Street. The notice of his death in the Stirling Observer makes no mention of a wife or family. Do you have any more details about the title deeds (date, names, address)?