Author Topic: Benjamin Rees  (Read 13866 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Rees
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 June 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
Mrge Register entries of John Rees Haroldston St Issells and Benjamin Rees Steynton
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline davidgodalming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Orielbenfro. I had a modern copy of John Rees/Martha young wedding and have visited the church. Well the outside to be accurate as the door was locked.

Also the nice people at the county record office had sent me the 1816 record.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 March 12 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

These burials  in the Parish of Haroldston St. Issels in the County of Pembroke in the Year 1868 (for Benjamin) and 1867 for Rachel) may be connected to you.

I would have a picture of the church they I once took, if you do not have the same.
If you have anything on David Rees and Mary Lee; and David Rees and Ann Lee of the same Parish keep me in mind.
Their residence of Derby Farm was close by to the church of St. Issels.

Keith Rees
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline davidgodalming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 March 12 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for the info on the deaths of Benjamin & Rachel Rees An age at death of 67 for Rachel makes sense as does a connection with Merlin's Bridge. However an age on death of 84 seems somewhat old for Benjamin. According to the 1841 census he was aged 40 although of course ages on early census forms are often inaccurate. A birth year of 1781 seems about 20 years too early. They married in Steynton in 19 Oct 1816 so he would have been 35 to Rachel's 16. Her maiden name was John. On the face of things a big age gap.
I have a picture of the church thanks. It's the one at St Issell's.
If I get anything on David Rees and Ann or Mary Lee I'll let you know. Do you live in Pembs?

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello

There were BIG age gaps with my Welsh Ancestors

One lot of 2xGreatgrandparents,a 17 year age gap

Daughter of above,when she married my Greatgrandfather,he was
27 years older than her :o

Another lot of Greatgrandparents,when they married in 1881 she was 41 & he was 22 ;D ;D ;D

When daughter of above married Grandad  he was 50 & Grandma 35

So big age gaps did happen & hope this helps

kind regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 March 12 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora
i am keeping a watch on this thread because of REES/PHILLIPS  connnections in NZ.
May I suggest that if you are concerned about the age gap you look at possible social conditions which might have contributed?

Napoleonic Wars? Earlier marriage/death or separation from wife?

I'm not famiiar with what you already have but I have a gap of several years between children in another family & found a possible explanantion in a book which said able bodied men were taken to Woolwich for Army training during the Wars to ensure they could help defend the country if required.

In another case I discovered my man had marrried twice and both wives were named Mary which solved a problem I had reconciling differing information as to her birthplace for example!

We sometimes forget that our ancestors sometimes moved quite large distances.
Good Luck
Dale
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline davidgodalming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 March 12 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I think I've solved the apparent discrepancy of the ages as between Rachel Rees and her husband Benjamin. Having checked the 1851 census information there were several people of the same names  i.e. Benjamin & Rachel Rees. However there is only one entry for  both living together and the address was Dredgeman's Hill in the Parish of the Hamlet of Saint Thomas which lying on the south side of Haverforwest near Merlin's Bridge makes perfect sense. "My" Benjamin was a farm labourer which is what I was expecting as that's how he was described in his son's ( my ancestor) wedding cert. of 18 May 1845 although the other Benjamins were more interesting as regards their occupations e.g. Occasional writer and a solicitor's clerk, but my ancestor was not an educated man so he couldn't have done either of those jobs. According to the 1851 census "My" Benjamin was born 1793 in Talybont, Pembs. I can't be sure if it's the correct location  but there's a tiny place called Talybont to the east of Haverfordwest near a slightly bigger place called Llawhaden. Rachel was born 1801 in the village of Burton near Neyland, Pembs.
They had several children and the son that's my ancestor would have been about 16 at the time of the census. He's not listed as living with his parents but that's easily explained as he could have left home to work on a nearby farm. Thanks to all of you who provided info and comments.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 March 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi davidgodaliming

I would like to know a little more about your Benjamin Rees.
My ancestor, David Rees,  has some connection with property in this location:

1832  At the baptism of son James Lee Rees, George [Manning] Rees and Sarah [his first wife Sarah Williams] are living and farming at Dredgman Hill, St. Thomas, and south of Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. It is known that George Manning's father David Rees owned Woodbine Cottage (1818), Derby Farm (1825) and Green Hill Farm (1835), all large farms immediately to the east of Dredgman Hill and his Uncle John Rees leased Westfields Farm adjoining Woodbine Cottage.

Keith Rees
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi David..

A possible burial for Rachel Rees, daughter of Ben and Rachel Rees.
Ref. 1846 Haroldston  St. Issells