Author Topic: Scollbeg Outrage/Fire  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Scollbeg Outrage/Fire
« on: Saturday 26 April 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
 Hi RootsChatters!
 It has been a while since I posted because I have been preoccupied with writing a biography on William Pittman Lett, the first Clerk of Ottawa, Canada, a poet and an Orangeman. His future  father-in-law, Joseph Hinton(1798-1884,) though a devote Presbyterian, was not ardently anti-Catholic and had no time for Orangemen, so Lett had to elope to marry his daughter! Joseph's father, William Hinton, had escaped being burned alive in a barn during the Scollbeg outrage in Ireland thanks to a warning by a faithful Catholic maid, who lost her own life in the fire.
 I found this material in old archive files, but have no idea of the what, why or where of the Scollbeg Outrage/fire, which likely occurred in the late 18th century or  very early 19th . Note that the spelling may be inaccurate too with the passage of time.
  Is there anyone who could help with this mystery?
Thanks very much, Lumber-jack 
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Re: Scollbeg Outrage/Fire
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 April 14 03:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much CC....the spelling really threw me! As usual RootsChat delivers! Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lumber-Jack. This event happened near to the area where my ancestors where from. Were the LETT side of your family from there, if so there were Lett's at Balloughton I think.

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Katharine. I am writing his biography but am not a relative. However, I know the Lett's came to Canada from Ireland and branches remain in the Ireland. here is an exceprt from what I have been writing:
"Thomas Lett  (1600-1665) a puritan English captain in Thomas Cromwell’s army moved from Worcestershire to Ireland around 1648. This coincides with the landing in Ireland of Cromwell’s New Model Army in 1649 and his conquest of the alliance of the Irish Catholic Confederation and English Royalists.  A century and a half later, Thomas’ great grandson, Andrews Lett, continued the family’s military and protestant traditions as a captain in the British Imperial Army’s 26th Cameronian Regiment of Foot serving under Sir John Moore in the Napoleonic Wars, particularly the Spanish Peninsular War and at the Battle of Corunna. The Cameronians had been mustered in 1689 from the most militant of the Presbyterian sects, the Covenanters, fighting for William of Orange to prevent any dilution of the Presbyterian faith.  Andrews married Rebecca Lett, a distant cousin from Ballyvergin, County Wexford. Their son William Pittman Lett was born in nearby Duncannon on August 12, 1819."

Thanks, Bryan
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 April 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
I just posted it on the presumption you were related  ;D

Hope you don't think me to be knitpicking, but since you mention it is a biography, and presumably going to be seen by other people, I will point out a possible error. You wrote Thomas Cromwell's army, but I think this was meant to read Oliver Cromwell?

Good luck, Katharine.

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 April 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine....far from nit-picking! A stupid error! Ollie will be so designated! Thanks, Bryan
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Hudson_Muir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 01:06 BST (UK) »
In your comments about William Pitman Lett's father Captain Andrews Lett you've commented he was a member of the 26th regiment of foot (Cameronians).

In the book Ottawa Past and Present published in 1927, Captain Andrews Lett is identified as one of the group of soldiers and officers from the 99th Regiment of foot, disbanded in Quebec in 1818, who left Montreal to found the Richmond Military Settlement in 1818. The settlement was one of the earliest permanent settlements in Carleton County.  Other sources have similarly noted that it was the men and officers of the 99th regiment who first established the Military settlements at Richmond, Lanark & Perth.

I've seen the reference to the 26th regiment quoted in several places, but I don't believe it is correct.

Doug
Hudson - Yorkshire - before 1830
Chambers - Stirlingshire Scotland before 1850
Muir - Lanarkshire Scotland
Douglas - Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire before 1900

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hudson......I am very certain of Lett's arrival date and his membership in the 26th.
My earliest references are from:

“Old Time Stuff”, The Ottawa Citizen circa 1924: How Capt. Andrew Lett Made History Here; Family Have Served City for Sixty-Nine Years; Unique Story of Pittman Lett and His Sons.

Ancestry.ca “U.S and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s” derived from McKenzie, Donald A. Death Notices from The Christian Guardian, 1836-1850. Lambertville, NJ: Hunterdon House, 1982.  p190

As he came after the 99th he did not have such a good choice of land. Cheers, Bryan
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex