Author Topic: John Maclean of Helmsdale  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Helmsdale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Maclean of Helmsdale
« on: Wednesday 26 December 12 22:38 GMT (UK) »
John Maclean of Helmsdale

It is known that during the 1860s the firm of Henderson, Glasgow, had a branch in Reykjavik Iceland for the purpose of exporting fish products to Britain. It is also recorded that on April 27 1862 the post ship Arcturus arrived in Iceland carrying four scotsmen to work at the plant, one of which may well have been John Maclean of Helmsdale. He was a journeyman cooper and his job may have been the building of barrels for salt fish. He may have left Iceland in late 1863. However,while in Iceland he met María Elisabet Kristjánsdottir and she named him as the father of the child she gave birth to in the Spring of 1864, Charlotta María Jónsdottir. The famous Icelandic book of genealogy, Islendingabók names the father as John MacLean of Helmsdale, born 1840.
          I have identified a John Maclean, born Helmsdale 1832, father Alexander a shoemaker. There is reason to distrust the Icelandic date and Helmsdale could have been a general description. He appears to have left Iceland before the child was born and may have left the impression that he would return. If he gave his true date of birth 1840, I cannot find any other John MacLean of Helmsdale. In naming the child, María comes from the mother and it is possible that the father suggested the name Charlotte/charlotta, as the letter 'C' does not exist in the language. John Maclean may have had a relative with that name or often mentioned such a person.
         The CV of John MacLean born 1832 is known until he died in Wallsend on Tyne in 1906 and there is a gap when he could have been in Iceland, but this is not proof. I would be obliged if someone can suggest another John Maclean born in the general area of Helmsdale born around 1840 and known to have gone to Iceland or who was related or connected in some way with someone called Charlotte, as that name seems to have been quite common around Helmsdale.

Regards,
             Helmsdale

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Maclean of Helmsdale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't have credits to check this John MacLean out but age fits and he's no longer in Sutherland in 1871.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VBG4-4BY
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Helmsdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Maclean of Helmsdale
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 13 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fifer,
               Thanks for your help. Your reply came on the day I went off on holiday and I have just returned. As I said in my original post, we have an almost complete CV of the John Maclean born 1832 in Helmsdale to Alexander Maclean, a shoemaker, until he died 1906 in Wallsend, Tynemouth, but the date of birth in Islendingabók is 1840, Helmsdale. This may have been a guess as the woman was certainly born in 1841.
     That link you gave refers to Stoer in Morayshire, but I can find no such place there. However, in my earlier search, I did find a John Maclean born around 1840 at Assynt, and in a later census at Stoer, which certainly exists in the area. Could there be some confusion in Family Search?
Regards,
             Helmsdale
PS. It now appears that Charlotta, the child's first name, was taken from an earlier ancestor in Iceland.