Author Topic: Glassworkers in Dumbarton  (Read 11187 times)

Offline Maggie_R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glassworkers in Dumbarton
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neilke

Thanks for the info re street names & JH's daughters - I'll check that out.

I have quite a bit of info on the Sunderland Hartleys & the Wear Glassworks (and Hartley Wood) if anyone else is looking.

However, I have pretty much nothing on the Dumbarton end of the family so if anyone reads this and can give me any info re their work in the glassworks there or anything else on Hartley's in Dumbarton that would be great.

Thanks

Maggie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 March 10 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Maggie, have you read Jason Ellis, "Glassmakers of Stourbridge & Dudley 1612-2002" ISBN 1-4010-6798-0, some stuff on the Hartley's and partnership with Chance etc', plate glass manuf's, before moving to Sunderland.......Skoosh.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 March 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
hi maggie what ever you need to know about glassmaking let me know i have a reasonable amount of knowlege on the subject lol i worked at cornings.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dr D.
I realise it's been a while since you posted - and a while since I have been here ....
But I have some info on Dumbarton glass, slightly after your period but some might be useful - I also have a plan of the glassworks from 1818 which is not on the site where I found it anymore.

My ggrandfather John Little was born there and his father John Little worked at the glassworks - also possibly HIS father Thomas Little as a labourer.
                                                                        - Alison.
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline yokerbrian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
This link gives some info on Dumbarton's Glass industry

http://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/mww/html/glassmaking.html
KELLY (Glasgow), DUNLOP (Ireland, Glasgow), PATERSON (Coatbridge), PATTERSON (Midlothian, Berwickshire), YOUNG (Eastwood), MUIR (Kilmarnock) CAMERON (Stirlingshire, Glasgow, Angus)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 12:39 GMT (UK) »
John Logan has done a lot of research on Dumbarton Glassworks. Apparently he produced a thesis at Strathclyde University. There's this:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/000767917200000004

Expensive, but public libraries can borrow copies of serials such as this for you through the inter-library loans system, either the whole issue or a photcopy of the pages you require. The earlier roots of the Scottish glass industry are covered by a superb study:

The Scottish Glass Industry 1610-1750 by Jill Turnbull published by The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Robinson1857

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Dr D, have you got this booklet "The Glassworkers of Scotland" by Diana Connell, its available from the Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Unit, Unit 5, 22 Mansfield Street, Glasgow, G11 5QP any family in particular....Skoosh.
Thanks for posting. this resource.  I'm looking to find whether or not my 4th-great grandfather, Daniel Robinson, came from Dumbarton.  The earliest record I can find him in is the 1810 US Federal Census in Berlin, NY amongst the workers and managers of the Rensselaer Glass Factory.  Daniel was a glass blower as indicated in the ledgers of the Bristol Glass Company of Woodstock, NY (where he worked after his stint at Rensselaer).  As the legend goes, William Richmond, superintendent of the Rensselaer Glass Factory, travelled to Dumbarton in 1806 disguised as a beggar with an eye patch and bagpipes.  He discreetly persuaded glass workers to return to the United States with him to work at the Rensselaer Glass Factory.  The workers were smuggled aboard a ship and hid their tools (since it was a penal offense for glass workers to leave the U.K.)  Well, the dates line up and it all makes sense.

My webpage about Daniel is at https://sites.google.com/site/robinson1857/daniel-robinson

Offline Jenny1960

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 October 21 08:40 BST (UK) »
Maggie R.... My knowledge of the family glass businesses is limited to what's available here and elsewhere on the internet. I am a descendant of the Hartley family. James Hartley is my 3 times great uncle. Wish I knew more. My middle name is Hartley as was my father's, nephew and grandmothers :-)