Author Topic: Guys of Shropshire  (Read 8211 times)

Offline Mrsj

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Guys of Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
We dont have a Thomas Guy that you suggest \im afraid. The only Thomas we have was born in 1848 son of James Guy.
I was interested in the other names that are posted on your e mail. I am a Dickinson from Notts but spelt with an I not an E!! I wonder if there is any connection there.
Judith

Offline Red_Fred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leonard Skinner and Mary Jane Dickenson
    • View Profile
Re: Dickensons of Notts and Guys of Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith

The earliiest Dickenson I can trace in my line is William Thomas Dickenson born about 1769 - place of birth not known but could have been Nottingham.

He married Mary Whyley in Nottingham on 10 March 1823 - they had had a son also William Thomas in 1819.   Wm Thos senior died in 1828 in Newton, Notts (Mary's home village) and is buried in Shelford Churchyard.

Young William Thomas married Jane Clarke in Nottingham in 1840.  They eventually settled in Newton and had nine children.

Most of the family moved away from Notts after the death of William Thomas Dickenson in Newton in 1859.

Does any of this fit with your Dickinsons ?

Regards
Malc
Shropshire - Fox, Davies, Jones, Hotchkiss, Downing, Pickering, Ratcliffe, Cooper, Hallgate, Tilley, Binnell, Owen, Egerton, Sandford, Hazelwood, Sadler
Nottingham - Skinner, Fox, Dickenson, Taylor, Clarke,
Newark - Clarke, Bilton
Newton par. Shelford - Skinner, Dickenson, Whyley, Wilson, Warren
Bethnal Green and Shoreditch - Dickenson
Denbighshire - Jones, Roberts
Lincolnshire - Tindall

Offline Mrsj

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 February 09 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not. My Dickinsons originated from Lancashire so no connection there but thanks for info. anyway
Best wishes
Judith

Offline Pixiehead

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, I have just come across your message re Guys of Shropshire,  My Guys came from Oakengates, whcih in the 1700's was mainly a colliery village, and Wombridge was the bigger place.  Now its in reverse, Oakengates is quite a big town!  My ancestors were Thomas Guy bap. 6th Oct. 1799 at Oakengates, and wife Elizabeth, dont know her maiden name yet!  They had a John Nelson Guy born at Old Birchhills, near Walsall in 1827c. He was my Gt. Gt. Grandfather. He married Mary Ann Page born in Darlastone, Staffs. John had siblings Rebecca, 1836c, Elizabeth 1839c, Thomas bap. 28/11/1841 and died 13/9/1843., then Ann Maria 1844, Lucy 1850, Emma 1851, and Enoch 1853. All registered at Wednesbury, near Walsall.  Lucy married a Thomas Cooper and they had a Jane in 1871c.

The family later moved down to Co. Durham with a little stay of minning in Northumberland.  My direct line went down to Sussex when the Page Bank mines, in Co. Durham closed in about 1930.

Does any of this relate to your family at all?

Jane

Offline Carranzoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just begun researching the line of Guy family that you are talking about :). My line goes up through Elizabeth Guy b1839 who married Edward Clarkson Short in 1862, registered in Walsall Staffordshire.  I have found through census's that her parents were the Thomas and Elizabeth you talk of. I don't have any info on them at all I would love to know what you have!

Offline hillwalkersue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hillwalkersue
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I have  Mary Guy married a John Hornblower, early 1800's. I thisnk she was from the Wombridge area, they later lived in Stirchley & Dawley. She re-married at St Luke's Dawley Parva after his death. I think her father was Charles, but not 100% as away from my records.
Chetwood, Beard, Hornblower, Gwynn, Follows, Stilgo, Shenton, Stride, Gorton, Frodsham, Harrison,  Seagrief