Author Topic: Harriet Selina Lloyd  (Read 1696 times)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Harriet Selina Lloyd
« on: Tuesday 18 February 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help with above named Harriet.

She married in 1874 in Manchester to Joseph Livesey.  She was aged 25 spinster (so b1849), her father Edward a farmer.  Her husband Joseph was born in 1851.  Her first daughter named Sarah Alice and 2nd named Elsie (Elise).  On 1881 cns living in manchester, Harriet says she was born in Ellesmere shropshire b1850 age 31.
On 1891 cns still at same address of Cresswell St, Harriet born 1851 age 40 b Shropshire.
On 1901 same address, Harriet says age 50 b 1850 Salop Ellesmere and now blind.  Unfortunately she died in 1904 so have no further info on Harriet.  I have found a number of possible Harriets' who could be right but nothing concrete.  the name Harriet Selina on the marriage cert has thrown me completely as I can't find anyone of that name at birth.  Does anyone have any access to parish records for baptism etc as Selina could have been a baptism name but not on birth cert.
Many thanks
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Selina Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Working backwards from the marriage.

1871 census: Class: RG10; Piece: 3972; Folio: 47; Page: 47
Belsfield, Stretford, Lancashire

Gwyther, James  Head  M  30  General Practitioner Graduate  b Manchester
Gwyther, Lucy V  Wife  F  33  b Manchester
+ visitor and housemaid
Lloyd, Harriet  Servant  F  22  Domestic Servant - Cook  b Lee, Shropshire

"LEE, a township in the parish of Ellesmere, county Salop, 1 mile S. of Ellesmere."
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Looks like firstborn was a son
Baptism: 7 Mar 1875 Albert Memorial, Collyhurst, Lancashire, England
 Joseph Henry Livesey - [Child] of Joseph Livesey & Harriet Selena
     Abode: 5 Monsall St.
     Baptised by: D. Ellison

Baptism: 9 May 1877 Albert Memorial, Collyhurst, Lancashire, England
 William Livsey - [Child] of Joseph Livsey & Harriett
     Baptised by: S. B. Sumner C

Baptism: 19 Mar 1879 Albert Memorial, Collyhurst, Lancashire, England
 Sarah Alice Livesey - [Child] of Joseph Livesey & Harriet
     Baptised by: D. Ellison Rector

can`t find Elsie / Elise baptism ....
problem is there are a few Harriett Lloyd born Shropshire 1848-1852  but the only one in that timeframe around Ellesmere is the one KGarrad has posted - so she is well worth researching .....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both KGarrad and Garstonite for your replies.

Yes, you are correct with the births of their children but I am not sure of the baptism name given to Elsie/Elise.  They didn't have any more children after Elsie.
The 1871 cns, I found this one but the one I saw just gave info as: servant born Shropshire, so this is even better now that I know that Lee was given as the place of birth AND its in Ellesmere.
I also found on the 1861 a Harriet age 12 but born 'Altrincham' which isn't too far away from the cns address, she was with a family named Holland living in Chorlton cum Hardy, in a pub called Horse and Jockey, he is Joseph Holland and his wife is Margaret age 40 so I checked margaret out and she was a lloyd before marriage in 1849 to Joseph Holland in manchester but says she was born in Denbighshire but her father is named as Edward at marriage, I know she can't have same father as Harriet but the fact that she is from Wales rang some bells for me.   Margaret died in 1866, so I did wonder if the Harriet in Stretford was the same person as on the 1861 with Margaret and Joseph but with it saying on 1861 that Harriet was born in Altrincham it caused even more confusion for me, should this have read Atcham?? which is also in Ellesmere is it not?   I do know that Stretford is around 2 miles from Chorlton cum Hardy so it is possible that this is one and same person but not necessarily my ancestor.
Kind regards
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Wht do you think of this possibility from 1851?

Class: HO107; Piece: 1994; Folio: 328; Page: 3
Gadlafs(?), Eastwick, Ellesmere, Shropshire

Davies, Thomas  Head  M  58  Ag Lab  b Albrighton
Davies, Rebecca  Wife  F  62  b Middle
Davies, Charlotte  Daughter  F  17  b Eastwick
Lloyd, Jane  Granddaughter  F  8  b Tetchill
Lloyd, Harriett  Granddaughter  F  4  b Eastwick
Lloyd, Hannah  Granddaughter  F  2  b Ridge    (all Shropshire)

"EASTWICK, a township in the parish of Ellesmere, county Salop, 1 mile from Ellesmere."
5 miles from Lee!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad
Yes, I saw this one also, and these would have to be grandparents no doubt, but still not sure as there is no father by name of Edward on here and can't find if they had a daughter who married Edward Lloyd either.
Now I did find from someone else on here quite some time ago there was a Paragon/Perigrine Lloyd aged 55- labourer with wife Ann age 60, son Edward age 25 and daug Mary age 15 living in Tetchill on 1841 (Jane age 8 was born in tetchill), I wonder if this Edward marrried Thomas Davies daug which I've tried to find, only one I can find is Edward Lloyd and Sophia Davies marr 16 dec 1842  in Ellesmere groom father Perigrine, bride father Thomas, but I don't know if this is daug of THE Thomas though as this would then make some sense in their grandkids being with them but not the parents of the children.
Only one I can find on 1841 for Sophia Davies is age 30 Milliner living at Dogpole st Mary, with emma and eleanor Davies in same household.
I did however, find a Selina Loyd on 1861 in Willow St Oswestry age 17 b Salop Ellesmere but not with any family and dont have occupation of her either but the head of house Eliza Poole is a Milliner.