Author Topic: Burial Plot - Hitting a brick wall  (Read 4597 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Burial Plot - Hitting a brick wall
« on: Wednesday 19 February 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking the burial plot for Harry John Jay, who was born at Ipswich, Suffolk in 1866.

He passed away on the 9th of December 1915 at Barkingside in Essex.

I have a remembrance card for the funeral which states that he was buried at Barkingside Cemetary - Plot D134.

Now the problem begins....

I am trying to locate the burial plot and would love to know if there is a gravestone. 

I have contacted Forest Park Cemetary and Crematorium, who have told me that he is not buried in the cemetary.  They have suggested that he is likely to have been buried at the Holy Trinity Church in Barkingside.  I have contacted the church, but at the moment it does not have a vicar, so I have been unable to progress further.

Does anyone in the area have access to a site plan for the burials at Holy Trinity in Barkingside, or has anyone got any suggestions where to go next?

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Plot - Hitting a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
when we didn't have a vicar for 18 months I still did look up's people got in touch via the church wardens

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Found this online:

Barkingside Cemetery is a municipal cemetery, opened in 1922/23.

A burial at the church is looking more likely.

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just looked through burials at Holy Trinity on SEAX and there is no mention of him.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 February 14 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan,

Thank you for the link to Rippleside Cemetary.  I have sent them an email this morning. I have also sent a message to the member on here to see if they are able to help.  :)

Hi Doran,

Good idea - I will see if I can find a contact for the Church Wardens.  :)

Hi Kmart,

Thank you for looking on SEAX for me.   :(

Thank you all.

Steve

**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 February 14 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I had some excellent help from that Rootschatter; hope they can help you too.

Good Luck!

Nanny Jan

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 February 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Latest up-date -

Have spoken to Rippleside Cemetary today, and its not them.  They suggest that it could be the City Cemetary.

Spoke to the City Cemetary, and its not them.  They suggest Manor Park Cemetary which is just across the road.  This may be possible as they were living at Manor Park in the 1901 census.

Manor Park don't look up burials and point to deceased on line.  Have tried a free search with no result..

With a date of death, and a remembrance card with the Cemetary and plot number, you would expect this to be simple, but its certainly posing to be difficult.

Anyone with local knowledge of the cemetaries in this area, who may have any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 February 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Lots of my relatives from 1889 to 1920 are buried at manor park. That's forest gate. I had a look at the parish records for there but no joy. Nothing at manor park either.
When I emailed the cemetery, they were able to confirm the plots. However, when we visited, the plots were very dilapidated. They care for them as next they can, but land has sunk and gravestones have weathered and toppled. I believe that the graves are 'recycled' after a hundred years.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.