Author Topic: Sarah Walker b1821 Doveridge  (Read 2217 times)

Offline fioroe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Walker b1821 Doveridge
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi i'm Looking for any connections to a Sarah Walker born abt 1821 Doveridge , Derbyshire, UK

My husband has a bible belonging to Sarah with inscriptions showing she was presented with it in 1829 by Miss Cavendish of Doveridge hall as a reward for attending Sunday school.
Sarah has added her name & address (Doveridge Hall) & dated it 1842. In 1841 she can indeed be seen on the census to be working there as a servant.

I am unable at present to fit her into the family & have made a tiny public tree on ancestry to try to hopefully get matches with other trees. We hope to visit Derbyshire in the spring to see if we can find anything whilst we follow up the other Relatives we know.

My husbands family come from Derbyshire & Staffordshire & were based around Marston montgomery,Marston upon Dove,  Rocester, Edlaston, Wyaston,  & hopefully Doveridge.  His family names are Roe, Moult, Hallam & Byatt

thankyou

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Walker b1821 Doveridge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if her father was working at Doveridge Hall in 1829, as the then hall was owned by a Lord Waterpark,  Wikpedia has the following:

The Cavendish Baronetcy, of Doveridge Hall, was created in the Baronetage of Great Britain in 1755 for Henry Cavendish. He notably represented Lismore in the Irish House of Commons. He was succeeded by his son, the aforementioned Sir Henry Cavendish, 2nd Baronet.
The Cavendishes of Doveridge were descended from Henry Cavendish, illegitimate son of another Henry Cavendish, of Tutbury Priory. This Henry was the eldest son of Sir William Cavendish by his wife Bess of Hardwick, and thus elder brother of William Cavendish, 1st Earl of Devonshire. The family seat of Doveridge Hall was demolished about 1938.

There is an entry in the Derby Mercury, 1824,  from Gale Databases stating the following:

The Derby Mercury: Wednesday, December 15, 1824:

DEATHS: On the 18th inst, at Doveridge Hall, in this county, Alfred, the seventh son of Samuel Walker Esq, aged 8 years.

Tom

Offline fioroe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom,

Thats really useful. That would make sense & Samuels deceased son could well be her younger brother.
I will look into that.

many thanks

Fiona

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 10 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are these of any use to you. Buried in the churchyard, Doveridge

Ellen, w/o William WALKER,
Of this village, 3 March 1849, 29
William, 12 *** 1894, 85
Henry, s, 27 Dec 1858, 3yrs

Robert WALKER, 10 Aug 1814, 55
Hannah, w, 22 July ****, 75 !!

Thomas WALKER, 25 Nov 1887, 74
Ann, 22 March 1887, 88

Offline fioroe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alf,

Seems there are quite a few Walkers in Doveridge. Will keep a note of them & see if they can be connected to Sarah.

Regards

Fiona