Author Topic: Richard Orford Lamprey  (Read 19424 times)

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Orford Lamprey
« on: Saturday 30 November 13 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Richard Orford Lamprey was reportedly born in Wicklow County Ireland in 1842. He is listed in
Wandsworth, Surrey County, England in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census returns. His occupation was Medical, General Practitioner. On the 1901 census he was living with Esther A. Brown age 77 who was listed as "Aunt". Also living with them was Frederick W.T. Lamprey, age 21, cousin.
   Richard died 13 OCT 1906 and his will was probated in London 30 OCT 1906. Effects in the amount of £1561 10s were left to Arthur Sydney Lamprey, School master. Seeking identification of parents of Richard.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Orford Lamprey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 November 13 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Is there no parents mentioned on his death certificate

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 November 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Irish genealogy has several Lampreys listed in Dublin mostly in the parish of St Wereburgh but there is one that might help with your search the burial of george Lamprey in st Wereburgh in 1855 address Ballintemple Co Wicklow.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 November 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation shows that George Lamprey lived at Coolgarrow and he was a Reverand.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 November 13 16:20 GMT (UK) »
"Effects in the amount of £1561 10s were left to Arthur Sydney Lamprey"
More likely that Arthur was administrator for the estate- you'd need the actual Will (or admin. paperwork if died intestate) to see who actually got the property of Richard Lamprey.

"Is there no parents mentioned on his death certificate"
English death certificates do not list parents' names.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 November 13 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information on the Rev. George William Lyster. I do believe he is a likely father of Richard
O. Lamprey. George W. Lamprey was baptized 3 MAR 1807 per St. Mark's Dublin parish records. He married Francis Robinson in 1832. According to the Tuesday, 15 NOV 1836 Dublin Standard, a son was born 9 NOV 1836 at Ballintemple Glebe to the wife of the Rev. G.W. Lamprey.
   Rev. George William Lamprey was listed at 29 Westmoreland St. and Ballintemple Glebe for the years 1848 and 1849. He was also listed at 29 Westmoreland St., Dublin and Ballintemplel Glebe in the 1850, 1851 and 1853 directories. I am currently trying to search the 1851 census for Dublin to see if I can
find this family and hopefully find Richard listed with them. As you found, "George Lamprey" of Ballintemple, Co. Wicklow, was buried 1 JAN 1855 per Parish of St. Werburgh records. He was 47 years old which confirms his baptismal date in 1808. Thank you. Bill

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 November 13 18:03 GMT (UK) »
A medical journal Raywork?cant make it out too small for my old eyes carries an obituary for Richard Orford Lamprey and confirms that George is indeed his father and that his grandfather was an alderman in Dublin and that they were an old Devonshire family,Richard buried in Corsham,Wiltshire.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 November 13 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Lamprey Sherriff 1824 Alderman 1832 possible father of George
George Lamprey a cutler listed in the Dublin Chamber of Commerce in 1783 possible father of Joseph

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 November 13 18:43 GMT (UK) »
« Reply #6 on: Today at 18:03 »
A medical journal Raywork?cant make it out too small for my old eyes carries an obituary for Richard Orford Lamprey and confirms that George is indeed his father and that his grandfather was an alderman in Dublin and that they were an old Devonshire family,Richard buried in Corsham,Wiltshire.

What an absolutely fabulous find! I do thank you. Yes, the father of Rev. George William Lamprey, grandfather of Richard Orford, was an Alderman in Dublin. His name was Joseph Lamprey who married Sidney Maria Higgenbotham 24 MAY 1806. Joseph was a cutler and Alderman. In the 1832 directory he was identified as Sheriff's Peer and Alderman.
   You wrote that they were an old Devonshire family! Richard's grandfather, Joseph Lamprey, was the third child of George Lamprey by George's wife Sarah Andrews. George Lamprey was baptized 9 JUN 1745 per Parish of St. Werburgh Records. George was the second child of George Lamprey by his wife Jane Feilding. This George was baptized 23 JUL 1699 per St. Bride parish records. He was the 9th child of Richard Lamprey by Richard's second wife Margaret Buckley/Mary Bucklee. All I know about this Richard is that he was born about 1665 and married Elizabeth as his first wife per Parish of St. Brides, Dublin records.
    If Richard Orford's father, Rev. George William Lamprey died 1854 in Ireland and Richard's Lamprey ancestors go back to 1665 in Ireland, where does the Devonshire connection come in? I am currently in contact with a Dr. Richard Lamprey who was born in Africa and currently lives in Moscow who also claims that his ancestors were from Devon and might have been Mariners. Richard claims there is an old book
on the Lamprey family in storage in Devon but it may be years before he returns to England to retrieve the book. I would be deeply indebted for any additional leads you might have on this Devonshire connection. Bill