Author Topic: Bellaghy c.1900 - online map?  (Read 9070 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bellaghy c.1900 - online map?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 September 14 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again...

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll send off an email to the Bellaghy parish office. Maybe they can advise as to old burial records.

Have traced 16 Castledawson Street in the Valuation Revision books and in 1929 it's still a Licensed House. The publican was an Edward SCULLION. "Thom's Directory" says he was still a publican in 1935, but not where. There was lots of intermingling between the SCULLIONs and WALSHs.

Thanks for your kind offer Elwyn. PM sent :-)

Thanks Bannerman for the OSI link. Really like the overlay feature. Now I definitely have a good idea of where the pub was located. A shame there was no Google Street View in 1900.

One more question... can anyone find the townland of Cavan near Bellaghy. It's mentioned in the link given by Aghadowey in reply #3. It says it's a townland in the local vicinity but I can't find it on any lists. It's turned up a few times since I started this thread, especially in relation to the SCULLION family. I'm wondering where the townland of Cavan is in relation to the townland of Tamlaghtduff.

Regards
Beg

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 September 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I cannot find a townland called Cavan in Co. Londonderry. There is a townland of Cavanreagh just outside Draperstown but it is some distance from Bellaghy.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 September 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Checking the 1910 directory names against 1911 census, shows that 'Cavan' might be part of the townland of Tamlaghtduff and this link does confirm that-
http://castledawsonwardead.co.uk/world-war-i/william-john-mulholland/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 September 14 09:24 BST (UK) »
hi BC

I have the Scullions in my tree.........from Bellaghy

Offline Bannerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 September 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
A shame there was no Google Street View in 1900.

Yes - wouldn't it have been a fine thing ! However there are some pictures of Bellaghy at the turn of the 19th/20th century here : http://family.kiwicelts.com/21_Places_and_History/Quiet_Places_of_the_Lower_Baan.html#Bellaghy along with a history of the town.

Regards
Derry / Londonderry - McCready, McGruddy, Carlin, McShane, Wilson, Cleary, Crockett
Castlederg - Baxter, Wilson
Inishowen - Callaghan, Duffy, Blieu, Grant, Coyle
Delta County, MI, USA - Cleary
Boston - Ballou
Nova Scotia - Ballou

"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 September 14 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Thanks very much again for the replies. Have sent an email to the parish. Will update the thread if they reply.

Quote from: aghadowey
'Cavan' might be part of the townland of Tamlaghtduff

Thanks for the Cavan info. I thought a townland was the smallest division of land in Ireland so does that mean Cavan is a streetname or farm name or something similar.

Quote from: Bannerman
here are some pictures of Bellaghy at the turn of the 19th/20th century here

Love the photos thanks. Could spend all day looking at old photos and wondering about the lives of the people in them.

Quote from: pansypetal
I have the Scullions in my tree.........from Bellaghy

Am helping a friend of a friend of a descendant of the publican Daniel WALSH :-) but the SCULLION connection is through Daniel's older sister Mary WALSH aged 22 years marrying a Hugh SCULLION aged 40 years on 25 Nov 1870. Their marriage certificate says that they are both from Cavan. Their fathers are Bernard WALSH and Patrick SCULLION respectively. Hugh and Mary migrated to New York.

In the Valuation Revision book covering 1884 the soon-to-be publican Daniel WALSH moves out of his family property at 37 Tamlaghtduff and takes over the pub at 16 Castledawson Street. A Henry SCULLION takes over at 37 Tamlaghtduff and, after Daniel migrates to NZ in 1910, an Edward SCULLION ultimately takes over the pub. So the SCULLIONs and WALSHs would obviously have known each other well.

For the record, this publican Daniel WALSH b.1849 in Bellaghy is the brother of the Mary WALSH who married Hugh SCULLION. They have an older brother John WALSH born c.1846 in ? Their parents are Bernard WALSH and Margaret m.s KEALY. Am fairly sure that Bernard is the Bernard WALSH who died at Tamlaghtduff on 15 Dec 1868 aged 70 years and that Margaret is the 94 year old farmer's widow Margaret WALSH who died in Bellaghy on 5 Sep 1893. I say "fairly sure" because I 've been unable to find a marriage record for Bernard and Margaret to match ages and, more worryingly, the ages given by the death certificates mean they had children in their late forties which seems unusual.

Ideally I'd love to know more about this Bernard and Margaret. Is Bernard the Bernard mentioned in the 1831 census. Was he a Tithe Defaulter. Did he and/or his wife have siblings. And, of course, is there anyway of finding their parents. (I'm guessing the answers will be 1) who knows 2) who knows 3) who knows and 4) I doubt it)

All the best
Beg

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 September 14 09:23 BST (UK) »
'Cavan' might be part of the townland of Tamlaghtduff

Thanks for the Cavan info. I thought a townland was the smallest division of land in Ireland so does that mean Cavan is a streetname or farm name or something similar.

A townland is the smallest administrative (official) division of land but often parts of the townland would have local names and these sometimes find their way into documents and other sources.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 September 14 23:40 BST (UK) »
Most Catholic churches didn't keep burial records but you could try contacting them to ask

The Parish Office have replied saying that there are no burial records. The headstone images on the Irish Graveyards website are pretty much all there is.

Were newspaper death notices published back c.1890 or is that a more recent development. I've a feeling literacy wasn't too common amongst the tenants so I'm not hopeful. I'm guessing the Derry Journal would be the place to look, assuming it's accessible on-line.

Thanks again
Beg

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 September 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
The Derry Journal isn't online as far as I know but it's unlikely someone in Bellaghy would have put a death notice in it. You'd need to check more of a local paper. Business people tended to place more announcements but this was still the period of hand-delivered death letters inviting relatives, neighbours and friends to a funeral so there might not be a notice in the paper.