Author Topic: Haddington & nearby christenings for COCKFIELD for 1790-1820  (Read 16176 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haddington & nearby christenings for COCKFIELD for 1790-1820
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 August 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonza,

Another link that confirms unknown author is below, it is from a book of Reminiscences of the Royal Burgh of Haddington and East Lothian Agriculturists, its out of copyright and available to read online.

http://archive.org/stream/reminiscencesro01martgoog#page/n178/mode/2up

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 August 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonza,

In the John Gray Centre in Haddington and online, it keeps an archive of the Haddingtonshire Couriers, there is an article on David Cockfield Painter and Poet edition of 3rd October 1862 on page 3 column 4.

http://www.johngraycentre.org/collections/getrecord/ELLOH_Courier_03101862

It could beneficial to contact them by phone or email, asking if you could be forwarded the article from the microfiche records.

Tom

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 August 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Bonza,

I knew a few of John Martine's books are online so had a look. Can also buy in paper form.

Reminiscences of the Royal Burgh of Haddington and Old East Lothian Agriculturists (1883)

http://archive.org/stream/reminiscencesro00martgoog#page/n173/mode/2up/search/%22brave+haddington+for+me%22

There are pages with the words of "Brave Haddington for Me".   Pages 168-170. Author unknown.

Hope the link works.

Mags

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 August 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom and Bonza,

As usual, should have read what was posted before more carefully. Tom, now see you already posted info.

Page is 158 not 168. Sorry!

Mags

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 August 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
G'day Tom & Mags

Many thanks for your efforts, info and links. Much appreciated.

The Courier date reference rang a bell, so I checked my files and found that I had a copy of this article. There's the info past of the article at the start and then there's the full words (lyrics) of the poem (song) 'Brave Haddington for me'.

I won't type out the words (lyrics) yet (8 verses plus the chorus), but here's the full transcript of the Courier article. I hope you like it as much as I did. It's the only evidence I've found so far that links the song to David Cockfield (snr), which he must have written when roughly in his 20s.

Cheers for now, Bonza

BRAVE HADDINGTON FOR ME
Source: Haddington Courier, 03 Oct 1862, p.3, col.4

SIR - The following song was a great favourite among the Haddingtonians some sixty or seventy years ago, and is still recollected by some of the older indwellers of the burgh.

David Cockfield, a painter, was understood to be the author of it.

It was always sung at the yearly convivial celebration of good old George the Third's birthday, and, so long as the birthday celebrations were kept up, by a decent respectable Haddingtonian - viz., Mr William Colstan, tobacconist, whose bye name was "Rowland Kiddess."

Mr Colston died at Gifford at the long age of about ninety, and his daughter Miss Colston is now post mistress there.

Although it cannot lay claim to much poetic beauty, yet it deserves to be preserved as an interesting relic of former years, and therefore I hope you will give it a place in your columns - I am, & c., J.M., Haddington, 26th Sept., 1862.
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 August 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonza,

I think you should contact the John Gray Centre, and present these facts, given that some proof came from the Haddingtonshire Courier, which they have in their own archives. I would like to see him getting the credit he deserves, unfortunately it is out of copyright period anyway.

Tom

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 August 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Thanks for your suggestion and interest. Perhaps they are already aware of the info, but I'll definitely get in touch with them and let them know what I have on David Cockfield being the purported author.

Does anyone know if there are any 1750-1820 parish records for Haddington and surrounding areas, which are not included in the ScotlandsPeople or FamilySearrch.org sites?

Cheers, Bonza
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 August 13 06:55 BST (UK) »
G'day Tom

I've just emailed the John Gray Centre with the info, questions and some requests.

I wonder if the early Haddington Parish records from 1780-1820 have survived in full?

Or could they be christened under the Church of Scotland? If so, are these records available at ScotlandsPeople or elsewhere?

Thanks again for your JGC suggestion too  ::)

Cheers for now, Bonza

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 August 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonza,

These records should be available, see

http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/pdf/list-of-oprs-702to725.pdf

Tom