Author Topic: Lots of Shadows on Old Photo  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of Shadows on Old Photo
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Regards

Malky

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Two pictures, superimposed.

Pic 1. Man in dock, all the woodwork of the dock (Carol's chair), your ancestor, his hat, and possibly two people behind him, one (a woman?) holding a bundle of papers.

Pic 2. Far left, a man in profile and a policeman. Three judges and a registrar, the registrar's desk, with inkpot and papers is superimposed over pic 1.  Possibly, pic 2 includes the two people who may or may not have been in pic 1 but on balance I think they are in pic 1.

You seem to know something about the photos already - would it be a good
idea to share that knowledge?

What is it exactly you want to know about the image?
Mike

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 15:00 GMT (UK) »

Pic 1. Man in dock, all the woodwork of the dock (Carol's chair), your ancestor, his hat, and possibly two people behind him, one (a woman?) holding a bundle of papers.

Pic 2. Far left, a man in profile and a policeman. Three judges and a registrar, the registrar's desk, with inkpot and papers is superimposed over pic 1.  Possibly, pic 2 includes the two people who may or may not have been in pic 1 but on balance I think they are in pic 1.

Mike

I like your synopsis. I think you are probably on the right lines.
It did not cross my mind that the guy on the left could be the accused. It makes sense. His head is also bowed.

I don't know anything about the photo apart from it being in the family. I thought it may have something to do with the War of Independence in Ireland as my g.grandfather was supposed to be involved in some way including in kangaroo courts. But than someone said they thought it could be the 1950's.

I just want to know when it may have been taken and was my ancestor actually there in the court.
But now with the black hat thing it throws a spanner in the works and the question is changing to why does my ancestor have a photo of a court passing a death? sentence.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 15:04 GMT (UK) »

Mike

I like your synopsis. I think you are probably on the right lines.
It did not cross my mind that the guy on the left could be the accused. It makes sense. His head is also bowed.

I don't know anything about the photo apart from it being in the family. I thought it may have something to do with the War of Independence in Ireland as my g.grandfather was supposed to be involved in some way including in kangaroo courts. But than someone said they thought it could be the 1950's.

I just want to know when it may have been taken and was my ancestor actually there in the court.
But now with the black hat thing it throws a spanner in the works and the question is changing to why does my ancestor have a photo of a court passing a death? sentence.

But you presumably know your great grandfather's dates of birth and death, so that you can hazard a guess at when it was taken. Also, to ask a basic question - how do you KNOW that it is him? family stories aren't always reliable sources.  Fascinating image though, and I understand your need to find out more.
Regards
Mike

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 15:14 GMT (UK) »
But you presumably know your great grandfather's dates of birth and death, so that you can hazard a guess at when it was taken. Also, to ask a basic question - how do you KNOW that it is him? family stories aren't always reliable sources.  Fascinating image though, and I understand your need to find out more.
Regards
Mike

He died in 1972 an old man in his 90's. He's not anywhere near 90 in the photo.
The man sitting is 100% my g.grandfather. There is no question about that.
I am content with the fact that there may be two photos here and that my ancestor may not have been in the court.
The question that I then need to figure out is why does my ancestor have a photo of a court in session passing a death sentence.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
None of this gets around the fact that cameras were not permitted in the courtrooms which makes me think it's not a real courtroom.

Your Great Grandfather wasn't involved in the theatre at all?

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
None of this gets around the fact that cameras were not permitted in the courtrooms which makes me think it's not a real courtroom.

Your Great Grandfather wasn't involved in the theatre at all?

No, but I'm thawing to the idea that it is a production of some kind.
The person (woman in skirt) could be sitting in audience holding programme....
The man standing in the middle could be the accused but he has his back to the judge just so the audience can see him. Might go some way to explaining his wild look too.....

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
The photo was also taken at height, like someone viewing from a balcony.    As I suggested earlier, perhaps the photographer was seated behind glass and captured the audience in a reflection. I agree with Carol that there is a chair that could be a reflection of the empty chair next to the photographer. 

Courtroom dramas were all the go in the 50s. Found this snippet:

"(Broadcasting) (in a TV studio) a glass-fronted soundproof room high up to one side of the studio looking into it. One gallery is used by the director and an assistant and one is for lighting, etc"
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
The photo was also taken at height, like someone viewing from a balcony
Would explain the man in the lower left corner looking down.

Where have you read the court room dramas were very popular in the 50's?