Author Topic: From Arbroath to Australia 1952 - SMITH (EDWARDS, MURISON) Family & Friends  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Hi.  I know this is a complete long shot, but you never know who is looking (and these posts do get picked up by search engines).

My grandparents Charles Smith (born Murison) and Nora Edwards emigrated to Australia from Arbroath aboard the MV Cheshire departing Liverpool in September 1952, bringing my father Derek with them as a 13 year old. 

Charles was 53 and Nora was 45.  I believe they had been inspired to emigrate by their older son who came to Australia on his own in 1951 as a 16 year old.  My uncle did not maintain a lot of contact with the family, and I don't know whether he is still alive today so I can't name him here.

The photo below shows them boarding the train that would take them to Liverpool.

Charles is the man standing in the train doorway.  Nora is standing in front of him in the dark coat leaning towards the young woman.  Derek is the likely lad behind peeking out from behind his mother.

The only other person I know in the photo is the young woman with the head scarf.  Again, I don't know if she is still alive so can't name her.

I would love to be able to identify any of the other people in the photo.  If you see this photo through an internet search and you know anyone, please contact me.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: From Arbroath to Australia 1952 - SMITH (EDWARDS, MURISON) Family & Friends
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 October 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
I'm still hoping that this photo will get a hit from someone in the family one day.

I have since located my uncle who happily is alive and well with his daughter and two granddaughters living nearby.

I believe the young woman in the headscarf is still alive.  A family friend has confirmed that the two young women either side of her are her sisters, and the woman in the dark round glasses was her mother. 

It would be fantastic if some of the other people in the photo were one day identified and included my grandmother's family members.  It's fairly certain they aren't my grandfather's family.

Offline luckychirpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
It would be worthwhile asking on this site, if you have not done so already. You will have to register...free.

http://www.theshoppie.com/arbroath/
Arbroath, St Vigeans, Auchmithie...names Beattie,Eaton,Spink,Smith,Keir, Shepherd, Cargill
Dunnichen/Farnell names...Weir,Addison, Anderson,Rodger
Aberdeenshire...names Stephen,Kemp,Wallace,Davidson,Sellar,McLeman,Cordiner,Crawford,Traill,Watt
Have an extensive history for McLeman.

London.....Vallance,Edwards, Dixon.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion.

The photo was posted at The Shoppie some time ago.  The members have been helpful with a couple of other family matters, but no IDs from the photo.

An article in the Arbroath Herald bore more fruit.  I was contacted by one of my father's first cousins, one of his second cousins and his best friend from primary school who identified the sisters and mother of the person I knew.