Author Topic: Photo help,Cruden Bay web site  (Read 12288 times)

Offline slainsview

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo help,Cruden Bay web site
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
This is an old post and I was able to help Seonaid some years ago as I live in Cruden Bay just along from where the photo was taken.

Although the bothy and land were sold the owners kept the salmon rights and they still fish for salmon. Bertie still helps the young man who now does the fishing so we often see him at the harbour.

Offline CarolEK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 July 14 06:22 BST (UK) »
Alan,
A relative has alerted me to your photo taken at Cruden Bay. I have a copy of this photo too, [in Australia]. My grandfather, Andrew and his mother Barbara Robertson are in this photo. Can you help me identify the other people?
Carol

Offline strachers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 July 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I'm on holiday at the moment, but if you look at my tree on ancestry, the Barbara Ann Robertson (b 1891) is my great grandmother on my mums side...is this the same Barbara Robertson you refer to?

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/63322901/family

It's just that the Barbara in my tree does not have a son called Andrew...that I know of. 

I'm assuming, therefore that there is possibly more than one Barbara Robertson on the photo?

I'm sure I have the people I know on the photo highlighted, on my tree, so would be interested in which ones you have names for also.

Anyway, I'll have a better look when back home.

Regards

Alan

Offline robynwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 July 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Seonaid,

I came across this post and recognised the photo as Cruden Bay.

I think the photo is next to one of the old sheds that used to sit opposite the cottages on Harbour Street.

My grandparents (Rennie) lived in Harbour Street and the shed opposite their cottage was taken down a number of years back.

I have attached another photo of relatives (Nicolsons, Robertsons & Massons) that was taken next to the shed that was taken down....it must have been taken in same street and around the same time. 

I'd be interested in knowing if you have managed to find out more about the photo.

Regards,

Alan.

Hello Alan
I am writing from Australia. My Great Great grandparents were James Robertson who married Barbara Ann Masson (?). I believe that if this is a photo of them. They are related to me (?). James's son was also James Robertson (my great grand father) who married Isabella Summers. He died and is buried in Australia. His wife is buried in the church yard that is out of town, along with 4 infant children. James came to Australia as a widower with 6 remaining children in 1924.

Offline strachers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn,

Yes, I believe this is the same family.

I have also been talking with Carol (see reply above) and I understand you know each other?

A

Offline robynwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 August 14 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
Yes, Carol and I do know one another...her grandfather Andrew and my great grandfather James were brothers. I alerted Carol to your photo. I have been to Cruden Bay twice and I know that there is a church on the outskirts of Cruden Bay where my great grandmother is buried with 4 infant children. I also noticed nearby her grave were James Robertson and Barbara Masson, my great great grandparents. My great grand parents lived in a place called "Hillside Cottage" down near the harbour. Is it still standing?

Offline Smillie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 12:45 BST (UK) »
Did anyone know of William tait from Cruden bay (port erroll) he was my grandfather my mother was Jeannie tait

Offline davy.campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 September 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
William Tait (Willum) was a well known person in Cruden Bay, a real old character, I remember him in the early 50s telling me stories about the sea, there is a relation I think still living next door to his old house in harbour street, his name is Willie also.