Author Topic: Searching for Mary Andrew (M/S Gray)  (Read 2593 times)

Offline greenshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Mary Andrew (M/S Gray)
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial details of Mary Gray. She married Alexander Andrew in Kenmay,on 2 December 1826 and appears in the 1841 census living in Kintore. Their latest child (Jane) was born
in 1842, again in Kintore. She is not listed on the 1851 census with some of the family.

She was born about 1806.

Alexander married Mary Mathieson in 1851 in Kenmay. He was a blacksmith.

I am not able to locate any details on SP or any other site for her death details.

If anyone could assist, I would be most grateful

Thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Mary Andrew (M/S Gray)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
Try the MI index at http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php but be aware that this only covers the cemeteries for which they have published booklets. Kemnay has not yet been done.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have looked on this site but no success.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
While a considerable number of baptisms and marriages were recorded in the parish registers, deaths are much rarer. Some parishes kept a burial register or noted payments for the hire of a mortcloth, but, on the whole, it was not considered so important to record deaths.

If there is no burial register amongst the parish records and there is no gravestone, tracing the date of a death is usually impossible. If a man lost his wife and had very young children to look after, remarriage was often fairly soon after the death of his first wife. Sometimes he gets a housekeeper and then marries her.

If the first child by his second wife was born less than nine months after the marriage, the kirk session minutes might contain a reference to it and possibly make mention of his former wife. The problem is that the Disruption took place in the period (1843) and many members of the Kintore congregation joined the Free Church.