Author Topic: William HOBBS  (Read 3132 times)

Offline auntievi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William HOBBS
« on: Wednesday 23 November 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i am looking for a William Hobbs who was born in Milton Abbot between 1815-1817. I know little else except that his father was also called William Hobbs. He briefly lived in Jersey (1841) and then moved to Portbail, France with his wife Lucie leblond. i wonder if anyone could help me trace his  parents and/or siblings? any help would be appreciated, thanks vicky

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William HOBBS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 11 07:48 GMT (UK) »
I have just Googled Milton Abbot baptisms 1724-1812.

William Hobbs,s/o William and Alice, baptised 4 Feb 1810. Also Mary Ann, baptised 29 Mar 1807. Yours?

P S. Perhaps this William may have died and a later son then named William. It may be worthwhile you making contact with Philippa Stout, Online Parish Clerk (O P C), Milton Abbot

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 11 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Philippa has placed all baptisms online (and burials & Marriages) that she has available at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/MiltonAbbot/index.html It's possible that your William shaved a few years off his age for a younger wife.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline auntievi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
thank you both for you replies. i will look into it. fancy taking a few years of your age for a younger wife, cheeky monkey

Offline roundswell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
The Hobbs born in Milton Abbot (Dunterton) mentioned are traced back as far as 1732 and in the case of William Hobbs the father of the 1810 William Hobbs right up to date.   William the father is missing from after the death of his wife Alice in 1833 (mentioned as the father at his son John's wedding in 1851) and without further trace census wise or BDM wise after the Dunterton entries.   His father was Joh who was born circa 1750 and whose father was also John who married Catherine Body in Lifton in 1732.   In the Milton Abbot Dunterton records, the John Hobbs born in January 1732 is the son of Jhn and Catherine, married in September 1732.   Before then I have been unable to trace either family.   It would appear the William and Thomas recorded as dying a few weeks apart in the 1760s were probably the Children of John born 1732 and his wife, but he was married twice.