Author Topic: Edward Kiernan from Drummucker, Co Leitrim  (Read 7473 times)

Offline JKiernan

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Kiernan from Drummucker, Co Leitrim
« on: Wednesday 20 October 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me connect the dots in finding information on my GGGGF Edward Kiernan from Drummucker. The marriage of his son John (below) list Edward as the father - no information on the mother. The Griffith's and 1901 census databases list two Kiernan families from Drummucker - Edward (Edmond) and John. The Edward listed could be the Edward I am looking for or it could be John's brother. The 1901 census list their ages as only 15 years apart so I'm not sure.

Here is what I know:

John Kiernan (my GGGF) married Eliza Charles on November 29th 1866 at the Roman Catholic Church in Drumeela. He was a farmer who lived in Drummucker. His fathers name was Edward and he too was a farmer. Eliza was a spinster was lived in Corohople (now Cloonecoose). Her fathers name was Thomas who was a farmer. The witnesses at the marriage were Thomas Brady and Mary Charles. They were both of full age (?) at the time of the wedding.

John and Eliza had 6 children that I know of (there may be more):

1.) Mary Ann Kiernan – born on Aug 30 1867
2.) Edward Kiernan my GGF born on Apr 23 1869
3.) John Kiernan born on June 26 1871
4.) Eliza Kiernan born on Mar 15 1873.
5.) Hugh Kiernan born on Apr 27 1875.
6.) Margaret Kiernan born on July 31 1878.

Other information that I found is the 1823 or 1833 Carrigallen Church records that had these Kiernan's from the townland of Drummucker who belonged to the parish

Bryan - age 45
Margaret - 42 - wife
Margaret - 23 - dau
Edward - 22 - son
Bryan - 20 - son
John - 18 - son
Thomas - 16 - son
Mary - 11 - dau
Hugh - 8 - son

Can anyone help in finding any information on Edward (marriage, spouse, children)? I am stuck with the Irish families being so big back then and the families using the same names over and over again.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Kiernan
Charles
O'Brien
Harte
Smith
Snedeker
Rock
Finn
Ryan
Hanley
Sullivan
Meagher
Cronin
Murphy
Kidney

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Kiernan from Drummucker, Co Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
I.G.I. (www.familysearch.org) lists the 6 children you have and also-
Mary Kiernan, born Ireland, daughter of a John Kiernan    & Eliz. Charles, married 27 Sept.1903 Manhattan, New York to Charles Smith.
John Kiernan, born in Ireland, son of a John Kiernan and Elizabeth Charles, married 28 Apr.1901 Manhattan, N.Y. to Kate Harte.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline razor8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Kiernan from Drummucker

Offline JKiernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey and razor8 - thank you for your replies!

Aghadowey - I had the information on both Mary and John marriages in NY and know that John and Kate Harte had a daughter (Mary) born in 1904. The birth certificate says that Mary was the second child, but I can't find any information on the first child. Finding ANY information on Smith's is very, very, difficult. I also know that the sister Margaret became a sister (no pun intended) in NY. I
can't find any information on the other siblings Eliza or Hugh although I think Eliza might have been in Rhode Island.

razor8 - I can't find a Hugh Kiernan in the 1911 census from Drummucker on-line that you have in your attachment.  Can you help! I can only find Elizabeth and Owen. If there is a Hugh that might be the sibling listed above depending on his age.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Kiernan
Charles
O'Brien
Harte
Smith
Snedeker
Rock
Finn
Ryan
Hanley
Sullivan
Meagher
Cronin
Murphy
Kidney

Offline JKiernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 December 11 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Could one of these two Edward Kiernan's be who I am looking for? Or is it a brother or cousin!

Edward Kiernan and Ann Gill or Edward Kiernan and Catherine O'Brien.

Here's the specifics.

My GGGF John Kiernan married Eliza Charles on 29 Nov 1866. His fathers name was EDWARD

#1) Edward Kiernan (69 in 1901, Deceased before 1911, fathers name JOHN)/ Ann Gill (54 in 1901, 73 in 1911) were married on the EXACT SAME DAY as my GGGF John and I believe at the same church in 1866. Is that a coincidence? Did family members marry on the same day back then (father/son, brother/brother, cousins). Their first child Catherine was born in 1867. 11 more children were born up to Terence in 1890. Since the fathers names are different I'm leaning towards a brother or cousin.

#2) Edward Kiernan (65 in 1901, not in 1911, don't know father name)/ Catherine O'Brien (60 in 1901, not in 1911). I do not know when they were married. The first child that I know of (John) was born in 1864. Their 7th of 8 (Alice) birth certificate says "Drummucker" as their residence. My GGGF John lived in Drummucker!

So, on the one hand I have an Edward who was married on the same day as my GGGF, and on the other I have an Edward who's child was born in the same townland "Drummucker".

Any Ideas?
Thanks, Jeff

Kiernan
Charles
O'Brien
Harte
Smith
Snedeker
Rock
Finn
Ryan
Hanley
Sullivan
Meagher
Cronin
Murphy
Kidney

Offline rosewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 July 14 04:02 BST (UK) »
Just a thought! When researching have you ever considered looking at the civil registration indexes with variant spellings?

I have the name McKiernan/McKernan, twice in my line, one of whom was from Drumkeeran, the other from another county.  In my research over the years, I have found people with various spellings, with and without the Mc.  If you would like to check this out, there are indexes on the web. Check out this website via a search for Wickham & McKiernan. On this site there is a listing for the name without the Mc.  Personally, I researched the spelling of McKernan and have listings of the indexes for births, marriages and deaths to about 1905.

My line in Drumkeeran starts with Bryan, born in the early 1800s. It also has the names, John, James, and Hugh. 

McKERNAN/McKIERNAN in Co. Antrim and Co. Leitrim
McALLISTER in Co. Antrim
MULDOWNEY in Co. Kilkenny
KEARNEY in Co. Louth

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 July 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Edward Kiernan (69 in 1901..did he apply for Pension?

Catherine O'Brien (60 in 1901...did she apply for Pension?

Why not put Census links up for people to look at them? Saves people using time to look for what you already have.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.