Author Topic: Seghill burial took 11 days?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Seghill burial took 11 days?
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
The brother of one of my ancestors died in Cramlington on 8th Feb 1890 from senile decay. He was a widower with no children living with his nephew. The death was informed by his great-nephew on the same day, but his burial didn't take place (in his wife's grave in Seghill) until the 19th... My first thought was that the ground was frozen or someone else said maybe flooded, but I was linked a met office report which didn't show anything noticeable. I am waiting to find out if there was a gap in burials before that date but we are stockpiling reasons why the burial might have taken that long, including the vicar being unwell, disagreements in the family (maybe involving who was paying for it) etc...

Any ideas?  ???

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seghill burial took 11 days?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
Northumberland Archives catalogue shows EP 143/A/39 which are the vestry minutes for Seghill Holy Trinity. The LDS also have them on microfilm if a Family History centre is nearer for you to get to.

A long shot, but if it was something unusual then it 'may' have been recorded in the minutes?

Other than that, any one of the reasons you have already thought of, plus perhaps something none of us could make up :-)

Boo

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
Maybe there was a legal reason? Inquest or post-mortem?

11 days doesn't sound too long to me?! ;D
Better than th indecent haste in some parts, where 3 days is the norm ;D ;D :-X
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
There's no indication on the death cert for a post mortem...  :-\
His poor father, my 5xgt, was buried the same day he died, but he had cholera... what a day that must have been :(

Thanks Tickettyboo, I'll make a note of that.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Widower with no children living with nephew. If there was no legal reason then it may have been financial. Nephew unwilling to pay or needed time to scrape together the funds.

Another possibility may be that if his wife´s grave was not originally planned to be for both of them that it took time to get permission to put him in with her.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks... I guess if it isn't written down somewhere, I could make up a whole page of speculation... :(