Author Topic: advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82  (Read 15309 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 August 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Think I may have them in the 1901 census living in Chevington

Mary A Brown 73 Head b Hawburn
Thomas Brown 23 G'son b Broomhill coal miner
Isabella Brown 19 Dau in L b Broomhill

Isabella and Elizabeth were often used interchangeably, particularly in Scotland. I have encountered it as well in my own family in Northumberland and Durham.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 August 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
I have never experienced interchanging of Isabella and Elizabeth in Northumberland. May need to be a little careful that these are not two different people.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 August 14 09:24 BST (UK) »
Isabella and Elizabeth were often used interchangeably, particularly in Scotland. I have encountered it as well in my own family in Northumberland and Durham

:-\  That's a new one to me.

I have many Northumberland and Durham Isabellas and Elizabeths in my family tree and I've never ever come across an example of the name being used interchangeably  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 August 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Same here JenB. Most of my family groups have one of each :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 August 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
All I can say is that the census entry that I found should not be dismissed. See the Whats in a name site for the interchangeability of Elizabeth and Isabella.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 August 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
I did not mean that your census suggestion should be dismissed, just that it should be carefully reviewed to see if they were too different people.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 August 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Quite agree! Any source should be looked at critically.

William

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 August 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have to say I had noticed that 1901 census. There were 2 Thomas Browns born around the same time and in the same area. One was to Margaret Brown born 1877 in Chevington who was single and the other was born in Amble christened 6th July 1880 to Francis and Margaret Brown. It seems like the 2 Thomas`s are cousins as Francis is the first Margarets brother. Looking at the 1861 census Francis and Margarets mother was called Mary Ann Brown so its all a bit confusing. It was the name Isabel that put me off.

Susan

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 07 August 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry I ment to ask about that. Going off the marriage certificate and the absence of a father named
would that mean Margaret Brown single would be his mother?