Author Topic: David Bisset, Dunfermline  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Bisset, Dunfermline
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 June 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
I saw the Canadian regiment article on Ancestry today and as that has him as a rope maker and as Mary Bower's death certificate states that he was a rope spinner, I think this is likely the same chap. Born 1790 Dunfermline would likely make him the son of Thomas Bisset & Elizabeth Mercer. But he & Mary named their seemingly only son William, which means David's father was likely a William and not a Thomas. Unless they broke from Scottish naming traditions. On 1841 Scottish census William was 15 and living in a house in Dunfermline together with Isobel Bower, who was an aunt of his. (Mary Bower's sister). 1851 census he is living in Dunfermline. 1861 census he has moved to Maryhill Glasgow. 1871 & 1881 he wasn't living with his family - cant find him on any census's, only his wife & kids, still living in Maryhill. He appears again living with his family on the 1891 census. He died in 1900. I cant find his father David Bisset on any census. Mary died in 1840 at which point David was still alive (she s referred to as his wife on her death certificate and not as his widow). Maybe he died before the 1841 census. No idea. Cant find hide nor hair of him. 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 June 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Not seeing William in 1871 1881 either   ....wonder if David married again ?

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 June 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Yes its possible David married again - he must have been about 50 when Mary died, so quite likely. I will look into that.